Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

My father came from a large family of 13 children of which 7 are still living. As one would expect with a family of that size I have a lot of cousins. Recently the son of my dad's oldest brother called to talk to Granny. He is 3 years older than I and is making sure all of his affairs are in order in advance of the fate that awaits us all. One item was the disposition of a violin that had belonged to our great grandfather. He inherited it when his father died and want to make sure that it stayed in the family. He had asked all of our remaining aunts and uncles for their opinion as to where it should go and to a person they suggested the same, one of Sam's boys.

While technically following the tradition of passing things down to the oldest son I would be next in line, I'm sure that the past relationship my boys have had with my aunts and uncles was the deciding factor. Once again I am both humbled and grateful for the men my sons have become.

Last edited:
Isn't it something when your children are raised, and you can thank the Lord for blessing you with each and every one? I feel honored that He entrusted these lives with me, as I know I am nothing special. I have these 2 beautiful children who are my pride and joy, and I have 4 wonderful children who let me be a part of their lives. I know I did nothing to deserve this, and yet here I am blessed with 6 adult children and 10 grandchildren, and 1 great granddaughter. Life is always worth living, but family is what makes my life special. Plus on top of that I get to share this with my husband. Wow, even in the darkest hours, life is good.

Yes family treasures are very hard to come by!

I am very fortunate that I inherited mostly from my Dad's side of the family. A steamer's trunk, domed glass picture, handcrafted items.

My hubby, not so much, everything was lost because his parents didn't value anything. If it does not contain dollar value, it goes in the garbage, that goes for family pictures, too.

I prefer to have the older stuff..... it was well built and made to last!
Nearly 50 years ago, my Grandpap make a step stool for me out of old scrap boards from the farm. The pieces were eye-balled and cut with a handsaw. Several different nails were used to put it together. That stool is just as sound today as it was when I was 4 years old.

A few years ago, I measured the original and constructed my own version of that step-stool. I added a few touches of my own such as oak instead of pine scraps, wood pegs instead of nails and urethane finish instead of paint. I also made a couple of copies for my Mom and some relatives to use like I used the original. Basically the new stool is like the old stool. That old heirloom created a new heirloom. And a tribute to the original craftsman who created it to entertain a grandson on a rainy afternoon.

Last week David and I fished the Huron river for 6 hours and caught one 7 1/2 pound steelhead. The fish was an overwintering male and I commented that we needed some rain to bring in a fresh run. On this past Monday I went again with a friend. While we did hook up with four fish we both felt that we needed rain to raise the water levels and trigger the spring spawning run.

The old saying about needing to be careful what you ask for certainly is being demonstrated in spades. Instead of a day of gentle rain lasting only a day we are now besieged with a series of large storms predicted to last at least a week and bringing rainfall amounts that are raising the water to flood stage levels rendering the river unfishable to small boats like mine. The same thing happened last year and by the time I was able to get on the river the fresh run had came, spawned, and left the river.

I went yesterday to order hearing aids and was allowed to wear a pair for a few minutes just so that I would have an idea of what I could expect the hearing aids to do for me. The devices I have ordered are blue tooth compatible so they sync with my cell phone. Anxious to check their performance I called my oldest son Joe. It was amazing to be able to hear his voice in both ears and understand every word.

Since the hearing aids must be made to work for my particular loss it will be several week before they arrive. I will once again be able to hear and understand what people are saying. I sometimes wonder if that is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom