Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Granny is doing extremely well compared to others with the same fungal infection. While it has sapped her strength it has touched her spirit. In fact she is wanting to go steelhead fishing with me this fall. In order to make that happen I have been checking Craig's List as well as other sites trying to find a boat that will allow me to take her. I finally found one in southern Missouri and today I transferred money in to the checking account of my youngest son. He was going to go pick the boat up tomorrow but the seller called me and asked to postpone it until next weekend. He couldn't find the title and had to apply for a new one.

The boat is a 16' Excel jon boat with side console steering and a 50hp jet outboard. When I get it back to Michigan I will remove the rear casting platform, add rod holders and an electric anchor system. I can't hardly wait to see her reaction to playing a fresh run steelie.

The boat is 16' long and 62" wide and if I remove the back deck it should lend itself quite well to the back drifting or hotshotting method I prefer using. With a little effort I should be able to run 6 rods although only experience will tell if that is possible. I might be a bit of a hassle trying to clear 5 lines will trying to land a fish on the 6th.

One of the better things that I when I retired was to purchase a pontoon boat and place it in a marina on Kentucky Lake that was only 3 miles from my parents home. While I could only use it once or twice a year my folks used it daily for many years and some of Granny's most cherished memories are of those of fishing with my father. The last year that they were able to fish together she caught a 5 lb smallmouth bass that they had mounted and gave to me to hanging in my great room.

Since she has often express a desire to fish again I figured that I should to all that I can to make that possible. Plus this larger boat it will allow me to fish the rivers when water conditions keep me off with my current rig.

Yesterday I went and checked a small stream in the Lower Huron Metro Park that flows into the Huron river. While I knew that water levels would prevent me from fishing below Flat Rock I was hoping to be able to fish from just below Belleville dam to just below where Wood creek enters the Huron. From Belleville to Flatrock there are only carry down canoe launches so I purchased a set of wheels that straps on to the bottom of my boat which will allow me to wheel it down to the river where no boat launch exists. Unfortunately with the river above flood stage, it's going to be a while. With my luck the steelhead will leave the river before the water levels return to fish-able conditions.

Today my youngest son Scott went to inspect the boat I was considering. He was quite apprehensive about having to make the final decision was to purchasing it. He afraid that he might miss something major and then I'd be stuck with a pig in a poke. The boat was located about 130 miles east of him and he borrowed my son Joe's pickup truck to go get it and drag it back to Joe's. He called a couple of hours ago to tell me that he was impressed with the boat and it was now mine. He asked if I had any tips for towing a boat since his total experience with pulling a trailer was less than 2 hours. I could only suggest that he drive slow.

So now I'm sitting here waiting for him to tell me that he has arrived safely at Joe's with the truck, boat, and himself intact. It will probably be 4-6 weeks before I get it back to Michigan and in that time I'm sure I will have rebuilt it about a dozen times. I will probably have to remove or reduce the size of the back deck as a bass boat configuration doesn't fit my needs for back-bouncing lures.

It has a large foot controlled trolling motor on the bow with I hope to relocate to the back. I'll add a winch and anchor tower on the bow to facilitate using a 60# chain anchor. Add some rod holders and I should be ready before fall.

Sounds like a great plan, Opa. When I came back from Florida I had to leave my boyfriend down there, he had major knee surgery and while I would gave preferred to stay longer into his recovery I had to get back to work. Today he is finally feeling good enough to get some help to get his smaller boat back in the water, and hopes to be back out on the water again tomorrow. Of course it is 80's degrees warm and sunny down there, very nice for fishing out on the Intercoastal!

Just wanted to say hi....Hi Sam! Hope all is going well. Tell Granny I said hi.
Wish spring would come and stay! Been snowing on and off all day.
Take care..

Back
Top Bottom