Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Just checking in and happily discover my big ole buddy is here. In an attempt to not become overly verbose in my salutation I can only ask "How ya'll are"?

Hey Opa! It has been a lonnnnng time since Ive been hanging around and thought I would pop in and say "howdy" to you. So
frow.gif
. I always loved your avatars,....
wink.png

Up-the-creek, glad you decided to stop by. Don't be such a stranger.

I guess all this coughing and nose blowing, and dirt shoveling wore me out more than I had thought. I was sitting here reading posts and sort of watching this week's episode of the television show "Castle". First think I know I'm looking at a post I was in the process of composing and realize that the television show is over and I have written zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzz
About 3 pages worth of that.

Mornin', Sam! Hope you're feeling better today.

Hey, friends, I have a question for any of you who knows about ducks or bumblefoot. One of my 'rescue' ducks from back in November has come down with bumblefoot. Every morning, I let the ducks out and they waddle through the pasture, down to the creek, to play all day. In the evening, they all waddle back up and wait by the gate to the chicken yard to be let back in. A couple of days ago, my DH were out in the pasture when they were doing their evening waddle back up. We watched in amusement (it's just too cute to see them do the waddle dance), and noticed Miss Priss was limping. We followed, and I picked her up as we were letting them back in the gate. Sure enough, she had the classic bumble on the bottom of her foot. Her ankle was slightly swollen and warm, as well.

I came inside and performed a bumblefoot search on here. Yesterday, I went to TSC and picked up some scalpels, vet wrap, 3-way ointment, and bird-size needles. I've got Dura-Pen in the fridge that has never been used, but I keep it 'just in case'. It says it's for beef cattle, and expires in 2012. Some of the posts I have read have said to give this to ducks at a dosage of 1cc per day for about 5 days. I've never administered antibiotic, and I'm nervous. Anyone have any pointers?

I soaked her foot yesterday in a diluted iodine solution for 15 minutes. Then, I wrapped her in a towel, slipped on some surgical gloves, and opened the scalpel. Based on what I read on here, I was expecting to cut into a cheesy-like hard substance that I could simply squeeze out. Nope. She started to bleed, and it freaked me out. I was not expecting blood. I couldn't even see what was there, because of the blood. So I applied pressure, stopped the bleeding, put some ointment on a cotton ball and wrapped her foot/ankle in vet wrap. Then I cried and stressed out all night, thinking that I did something horribly wrong and wondering if she was going to bleed to death or get blood poisoning from the staph entering the bloodstream. I had separated her and put her into the lambing pen (which is not in use right now). I also put my 7 ducklings in with her to keep her company. This morning, she had laid her usual egg, her wrapping was still on (and not bloody), and she was eating and drinking and playing with the ducklings. She's still limping.

I'm scared to death to try the scalpel thing again. From what I've read, you've got to get the 'core' thing out. How the heck do you do that when they are bleeding? I've read a couple of posts where they said you can cure it just with Dura-Pen injections. Can someone help me out with this? Thanks so much!

All this coughing and nose blowing has got me feeling like I've been rode hard and put away wet. Back and chest ache from the spasms and I find I'm having trouble working up any enthusiasm to go do anything.

Caycee I sent you a pm about injecting poultry but decided that maybe some of the others might like to read it as well. http://www.pekinbantams.com/injectingpoultry.php

Gee, Opa, I sure hope you get to feeling better soon-don't let it hang on too long before you see a doctor!
YakLady, good luck with that bumblefoot surgery-hope I never have to try to do it!
Maggie, hope to send out the eggs on Wednesday(I HOPE.
The new puppy sure does keep me hopping! He's a lot of fun and he has definitely helped to get my mind off of the loss of my Boz.
Hope you all have a great day!

Quote:
When we just did my daughters hen it did bleed but applying pressure did work. You do have to squeeze the foot to get the mass out and it will bleed while you do that and the duck will flinch as it does hurt. It took a few days and she is running about fine. I had to cut her open again last night as there was more infection other than the mass. But not being sure, I left it that in on the first surgery. So last night I took tweezers and picked out the rest of it(I believe).
I haven't given the hen any antiboditics other than the ointment on the foot before putting the bandaid on (it is on her toe)

PM me if you need to.

Getting a bad cold just isn't fun, is it Sam? When I had my bad cold a few weeks ago, I used up a new box of kleenex in a day and a half! Last night was the first night I did not cough. It's been at least 3 if not 4 wks since I had the cold. So, good luck and take care of yourself. It takes alot out of you.

My aunt came over a little while ago and brought me 23 duck eggs!!! LOL, she wanted ducklings last year, so I incubated/hatched and then inundated(sp?) her with ducks. Now I guess I am reaping the rewards.
roll.png
But it should be fun. I have done pretty well hatching shipped eggs, hoping I can do better with the local ones.
smile.png

In the incubator this morning were four little bobwhites....not sure if any more will hatch so giving it until this evening to put them into a brooder.
I like this insanity.
big_smile.png

Sheila, send more pics of Cupid, PLEASE...???? I ended up being financially strapped so didnt get my dachshund puppy. Oh well, there is always another time and we have three of the little menaces around here already.
This morning a friend came over for coffee and the little long haired weiner dog, Axl Rose, was adamant in telling me over and over "Stranger!! Stranger!! Stranger!!!"
roll.png

For those of you who havent seen me post about them, we also have Alice Cooper and Willie.
smile.png
The ones named after rock stars belong to my youngest daughter.
I guess we could include my oldest daughters doxie, Percy, or friends doxie, Louie, but they arent here all of the time.
A friend of mine got a puppy from the litter I was supposed to get one from. I am happy for her but have to admit to being just a tad jealous.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom