Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

I love all the pictures! I love flowers especially in the spring.

Opa, tell granny she can't get sick! lol So sorry, hope you all feel better soon.

I realised I didn't tell anything about myself. I'm Beth, 47 yo and married forever. 4 kids, 2 of which still at home going to college. There are also 4 dogs; akita, pitbull, siberian husky, and lil beagle. 2 cat (one which is deaf), a ball python and 2 snakes lost in my basement, a couple fish tanks plus the 3 chickens. 2 rir and a barred rock. I am keeping the chickens in the front yard to keep them away from the dogs. I have an eglu coop and run. We live in the suburbs so I can't get 50 chickens.. lol.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.
smile.png

Quote:
I am worried about the 2 snakes lost in the basement?!?!?!?!
hide.gif

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

That is exactly where my mind went!
lau.gif
Then I started wondering how I could ship all the yellow rat snakes here to Beth!

Beth, my DH raised snakes as a kid, and is pretty comfortable capturing and relocating them. As long as they are non-venomous. I mostly negotiate with them,
lol.png
Luckily the area is heavily wooded - unluckily, the area is heavily wooded. Send one on it's way and another moves right in. My dog Tiger was bitten by a copperhead in the back yard last year. It was dispatched, vac-packed and frozen for the vet. The snake, not the dog.
So far this year, the only scary one was a canebrake rattler by the garden.

When DH was a teenager, he and his brother lost a snake in the house. Didn't find it until the neighbor lady came over to watch a TV show with his Mom. And the 4 footer came out from under the TV stand. It was quite a night from what I hear!
gig.gif

We have a lot of snakes where we are. I saved one the other day in our driveway, but he wasn't very appreciative about it. I tried explaining to the snake that it had not one, not two, but three different animals after him. A dog, a cat, and a chicken wanted him badly, and agreed to some sort of weird alliance to catch him. I rescued him, and released him in the back woods, but couldn't promise Coco the crazy hunting welsummer wouldn't find him again.
roll.png

and
welcome-byc.gif
to BYC Beth.
smile.png

Bluemoon

Last edited:
10233_coffee_break.gif

Been outside working, just not real hard. Suddenly realized my caffeine level was getting low. So I came in brewed a pot and here I sit drinking coffee, checking out BYC, and thinking that I'm probably not going to get much more accomplished today.

I did get the chicks moved back into the coop where they belong. You don't realize just how bad they smell until you start cleaning up the box you've had them in. One week in the house was about 2 weeks too long.

A friend on the Michigan thread wrote about a chicken swap coming up on the 24th and suggested that we should try to get together for lunch afterwards. It's about 75 miles from my place and going to have lunch with friends sounds great but I'm not sure if I should go to the chicken swap. There's people at them things that try to sell you chickens. I might be able to resist buying anything unless I see some really nice birds that I don't have, or the seller is a cute little kid, or worse yet a real good lookin' woman. I could wind up coming away from there with enough birds to open a KFC.

Snakes in the basement:eek: That reminds me of an episode on "Home Improvement" Tim Allen's television show. There was a snake in the house and Tim practically destroyed the kitchen trying to get it out.

Hey Sam, how's Granny doing?

I'm waiting impatiently for my broody to hatch something. Day 21 has come and gone now. She has sat like a trooper throughout so I really hope she can finish the job.

I'm not terribly afraid of snakes (easy for me to say living here!) but I don't think I would like some running (slithering) loose in my basement!

Quote:
A. You have a basement???

B. Have you ever seen a real, live snake? If not, I'll be happy to ship a few.

C. Sam, how's Granny? How are you?

Quote:
A. You have a basement???
No, but if i did, I wouldn't want any snakes on the loose in it.

B. Have you ever seen a real, live snake? If not, I'll be happy to ship a few.
Yes thanks, and no thanks.

C. Sam, how's Granny? How are you?
I asked first!
tongue2.gif

Granny didn't get out of bed until almost 11 and today is the first time since she's been here that she hasn't made her bed. Claims since I might be back in it soon why bother. Actually I don't think she is going to get as sick as I have been. I tried to cowboy up rather than taking anything for it until the 4th day. As soon as Granny started coughing I started giving her medication and she says she is feeling much better.

I never worried much about snake with Michigan only having a single species of pigmy rattlesnake that it rarely seen. All the others are just ugly. However, snakes in the south are much more plentiful and many are venomous. Thatfact changes ones outlook on snakes.

Back
Top Bottom