Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Evening all! Hope you all had a wonderful day today.
It's been hot here-whew, it sure came on fast. Where did spring go? Got most of the garden planted today and then DH took off to go to the lake to try to catch the end of the spawn.
Beth, I'm still worried about that whole snake in the basement thing.
wink.png

Opa, I so hope Granny got to feeling better this afternoon. I'm worried about her. Are you doing any better yourself?
Incubatingisfun-
frow.gif
Howdy!
Farybee-When my father passed away, I inherited his dog(English Setter) who is a quail/pheasant/chukar hunting maniac My DH loves hunting upland game birds better than anything. When we go to Tennessee to visit family he tries his level best to get a turkey-so far, that's a no go.
big_smile.png

Well, good people, gonna go put the birds up for the night and make sure all is well in coop land!

10233_winter_heavy_clothes.gif
10233_summer_hammock_2.gif
10233_rain_umbrella.gif

The weather being experienced by those of Opa's place sure covers a wide range of conditions and temperatures. The Thistle and I both still having to deal with the need for hats and gloves while Ranchie is basking in warm sunshine. The Easttxchick may be in need of bumbershoot but at least the rain is warmer than the rain that insiderart may have to deal with. MagsC will still need a heavier coat than I but all of us are blessed to wake to a new day.

Granny seems to be a little better this morning. She got up to make sure her dog was taken outside and then decided to go back to bed. At this point rest is probably the best medicine. My cold appears to finally starting to break but it certainly has been a tough one. I may have jinxed myself two weeks ago by commenting that none of us had gotten sick this winter.

Later today I think I will break down and fix something that more closely resembles a Sunday dinner. With how everyone has been feeling not much effort has been put into meals. I'm going to fix a boneless chicken stuffed with rice and crawfish. Still need to decide on a vegetable but I leaning towards broccoli in a cheese sauce. If food is starting to sound good I'm sure it means I'm on the mend.

I went out to check let the large fowl out of their coop. I have an automatic opener but the string that lifts the door broke so I must fix that today. The temperature in the brooder cages only got down to 62 and the chicks all seem to be doing just fine. Checked the coon trap only to find that I still have more coons around. I was surprized to find that even though I had placed the bait under the trigger pan, the bait was gone without the door being dropped. I'll have to work on that today. Can't have those bandits hanging around here.

I don't mind sending the heat, but you have to take the pollen and oak droppings too! Really bad year for allergies.
hmm.png

Hi Granny, get better fast, okay? Maybe a shot of whiskey for you?
frow.gif

I think I have a broody hen, first time ever in 18 years of chickens! It's Goldie, the bantam cochin in my avatar. She has appropriated 4-5 DBH eggs, and I stuck a green egg under her last night. While she pecked me and growled. Goldie is about 4 years old and I haven't had an egg from her in about a year. So it's a surprise to see her being all broody. We'll see if it lasts, might just be a passing fancy.

I guess I'd better get busy setting up a broody cage or pen.

Hope everybody is having a wonderful day, still too early to tell here.

ETA, DH says she's 5 years old! Mr. I-don't-want-anything-to-do-with-YOUR-chickens.
lau.gif

Last edited:
We have the pollen and whatever else causes allergies. I've never had a problem in previous years, but apparently this year I do.
hmm.png
My eyes water, sneeze, nose running. I don't like it.
roll.png

Bluemoon

Sam, I caught the same crud. I'm not coughing yet, but my head, nose and throat are burning like fire. This is miserable... sure hope you and Granny are doing better. I'm going back to bed.

Awwww Cayce, what a bummer. Hot tea with lemon and honey, and LOTS of snooze time. Hope you feel better asap.

Back
Top Bottom