Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Evidently it worked that time so I will try posting what I wanted once again. Still didn't work so this is the umteenth edit. In one of Laura's pictures the shadow looks like someone is scratching their head wondering what they've gotten it to.

Last edited:
Evidently it worked that time so I will try posting what I wanted once again. Still didn't work so this is the umteenth edit. In one of Laura's pictures the shadow looks like someone is scratching their head wondering what they've gotten it to.

Glad you got it to work Sam, and yes, we are scratching our heads but it will be worth it at harvest!
We beat the rain this morning and got the rest of the compost in the beds. Mike got his fire ring finished with stone which looks really awesome. Now I have lots to plant, but that will wait until the rain and severe weather moves out sometime tomorrow!

We are several months away from thinking about planting anything. I've found that it's much safer to wait until the end of May and even then frost can still be a problem.

Laura, it looks like you have a climate similar to mine. We are starting to plant. The fruit trees are in various stages of bloom. The poppies are popping. Miner's lettuce is everywhere. It's spring here. Opa, condolences.
big_smile.png

Well I haven't been here in a while. Just got out of the hospital yesterday. Went this past Tuesday and had a balloon and stent put in my heart. They ended up keeping me till Saturday because I was enemic but then decided to let me go home to worry about the rest of my health problems on my own. Enemec, and extremely high blood pressure and fever is what I was sent home with to correct on my own. Go figure~ So much for hospitals and doctors. HUH?

Well I haven't been here in a while. Just got out of the hospital yesterday. Went this past Tuesday and had a balloon and stent put in my heart. They ended up keeping me till Saturday because I was enemic but then decided to let me go home to worry about the rest of my health problems on my own. Enemec, and extremely high blood pressure and fever is what I was sent home with to correct on my own. Go figure~ So much for hospitals and doctors. HUH?

th.gif

Unbelievable!!!!!!!

As a carpenter I am expected to have learned my trade before working on someone's house, yet doctors get to practice. If you meet a doctor and as what they do for a living they will reply that they practice medicine. Isn't that a scary concept?

Mema, glad to have you back and hope your health issues straighten out for you soon.

When I was in Kentucky I stayed with some very good friends of Granny's. She gave me a recipe for making a laundry detergent that she claims cleans better than anything commercially available and only costs about a penny per load. I recently make a batch and Hope tried it on some extremely greasy and oil clothes of hers and some of her sons clothes that she hadn't been able to get the grease stains out before. Much to our surprise everything came out spot less.

Laundry soap recipe

1 bar Fels Naptha soap
1 cup Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Borax
4 cups of water.

Grate Fels Naptha into a large stock pot with water and simmer until melted. Add 1 gallon hot water, powders, and stir until dissolved. Pour into 5 gallon pail and add hot water to fill. Allow to stand overnight.

Use 1/8 cup for front load washers and 1/4 for top load.

Last edited:
That looks like a potent soap mix, need to make some! Last year I had a great chat with a woman who is close to 90, she told me how she used to use Fels Napha for laundry soap, She has a story about how her husband one day grabbed a block of bees wax that was on the same shelf as the soap. Nothing too catastrophic happened in the washer but the warm dryer? She is still laughing about 50 years later. Really fun listening to her life stories.

Just getting light enough out to see there is fresh snow way down the hillsides. Looks like it is a few of hundred feet above our place. Brrrr chilly but the frogs are in full chorus. Must be spring!

Back
Top Bottom