Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Opa,I had to laugh at your comment about the "baby" turning 40! When I turned 50 ( 7 years ago),I gave my dad a hard time about his "baby" son turning that age. His comment was "Durn yer getting old!" Fortunately,he's still around to tell me how old I'm getting!

Glad to hear you're getting somewhat better and waiting for a complete recovery for all of ya!

Opa, I hope the visit will be as good as the last! My parents are still alive and they are having their jollies saying "Yep, part of getting old! You will find your joints pop and creak and your gaits will get slower and slower!" I bet they are enjoying seeing ME getting old LOL!

Had a wonderful weekend with friends. It was a school friend's birthday (27 of course!) on Saturday so a whole bunch of us got together for a mini school reunion and had a lovely evening of too much food, too much drink and not enough sleep! Lots of pictures of us at school were flying around, haven't laughed so much in ages! It's great to still be in touch with so many old friends.
Hope everyone else had a good weekend and all the coughs and colds have gone.

I think that this cold is finally starting to break. Still don't have much energy but at least the coughing isn't quite as severe. Hopefully in a few days I will be able to start get some things done. The main coop needs to be completely clean and the cages are in need as well. Also I have to try and finish the pruning and apples trees and get them sprayed be for the buds start to swell.

Since Scott and Rebecca are in town both of Hope's sons and their families wanted to be here yesterday. Scott had asked his best friend Carl to come over as well so when Hope and I we trying to figure out how many people and how much food, we decided it would be prudent to fix a second ham. Not long before dinner we find out the Carl and his family are fighting the same bug we've battled and are much to sick to venture out. Then Roy informs us that they wouldn't be here for dinner but would return later for cake and coffee.

Today I will be slicing up the untouched second ham and vacuum sealing several packages. The bones from both will go into a stock pot and be boiled done to make a stock to be used at a later date.

It was nice to spend time with with every one and reminisce. Spent part of the time looking at some old photographs and Rebecca pointed out how much I looked like my great grandfather. In the only photo I have of him he was about the same age as I and he looks like a very old man. While I didn't place a photo of me next to his for a true comparison I maintained that people aged much quicker during that era than to do today. I don't know if anyone bought my claim but I'm sticking to it.

Scott and Rebecca left to spend the night and Dave & Amy's and will be back over this morning for breakfast. I don't know how much time they will spend with us today as Scott had mentioned several people he would like to go see. Most of their time in Michigan was spent with Rebecca's family but as I have pointed out to Hope, the parent of sons always wind up on the shorter end. That isn't a complaint, just a reality and I am thankful for the time we did have with them.

Last edited:
Sam, My mother repeated the old saying to me, "A daughter is your daughter for all of her life, a son is your son until he takes a wife", when I made an observation many years ago that didn't have to do with a visit!!
lol.png
At least I have daughter, like you, my son-in-law's parents only have boys, I try to be mindful of that and remind my daughter of it as well.

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, but take it easy getting back into high gear!
wink.png

If you are going to do coop cleaning, and tree spraying, I hope you have a GOOD respirator.. Cleaning coops and cages is a dusty and dirty job, and it could set you back as bad as you were before, or worse.. And spraying can be just as bad.. Take care old friend, we all want you to be around a long, long time, and in good health...

Oh yes, back in those days, they have AGED alot from hard work, suffering and hard times. When kids nowadays say we work too hard, I would tell them of my grandparents and great grandparents how hard they had to work as tenant farmers up to the point they owned the farms themselves. Fingers, toes missing from "playing with the farm implements" or frostbites, losses of children due from diseases rampant (typhoid fever, milk fever, etc.), or farming accidents, childbirths, widow at such a young age with children in tow, always hungry, livestock to be fed, pigs to be slopped, chickens to scratch fed, keeping warm, chopping endless amount of trees to burn to keep warm during the winter, oh yeah, if that don't deter them, try going outside outhouses, in the dead of winter, freezing your buns off or not taking luxury showers/baths, all you have are recycled tub water from your older siblings or younger babies.

Back
Top Bottom