Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

One Wednesday, David and I are going to go steelhead fishing. I will be the first time we have fished for trout together since 1980 when I sold my big boat. While we've done a lot of fishing for walleye and panfish in the intervening years this will be an entirely new fishing technique for him.

While there are a few locations a little closer, I want to go to a river about 140 miles from us that flows into Lake Michigan and has a much larger population of steelhead than the closer rivers. The rain today and the warmer temperatures should bring a fresh run of spawning fish into the river. While the dark fish that have over wintered in the river are exciting to catch they are nothing like the bright silver fresh run fish in their fighting ability.

It is supposed to be 70 degrees and even if we don't catch anything, the combination of beautiful scenery, the sunshine, and spending non work related time with my son will make it a wonderful day.

An update on the garden progress! This is my herb garden

This is a new Azalia bed

One of 4 vegetable gardens

The strawberry bed

And of course, who can live without flowers!

Things are starting to grow, and the weather has definatly warmed up down here in Alabama. No matter what the calander may say, it is SPRING!!!!

Late yesterday afternoon while checking the weather reports I discovered that the river west of me that flows into Lake Michigan was mere inches below flood stage. If had rain quite heavily on the west side of the state causing the high water levels. Conditions not the least suited to fishing.

With that information I decided that we would fish a river in the southeast corner of the state that flows into Lake Erie. While Monday's storm hadn't deposited that much water on my area apparently it had dropped a considerable amount of rain in others areas in that watershed. We arrived at the launch site just as the son was making its appearance. Much to my disappointment the water was high and flowing fast. The water level was almost 3' higher than the last time I had fished there. The land end of the dock at the boat launch was now 70-80' from the current water's edge.

After much deliberation we opted not to attempt to launch. That the river contains too many snags and log jams that are now under water. We could easily be push into them by the raging current. Not a risk a was willing to take.

Hopefully it will be better next time.

Back
Top Bottom