Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

They are nice but man, they don't let down their xoo coo coo ugh! They do their dive bomb flights (mating) around the house, seeking out territorial areas and once in a while I would find a mother dove nesting in her brood....I leave her alone.

Doves are probably the most expensive fowl you can get. Their darting, dropping, twisting flight makes them extremely difficult to shoot. I read some where that the the average is 1 bird for every 15 shots. When you factor the price of the ammunition versus the amount of meat per bird, just a few ounces, the price goes through the roof.

We made a similar calculation on ice fishing this winter - 100 miles round-trip to muskie bay to catch 2 walleye. $25 in gas, plus bait and gear, 2 mile each way walk hauling sled and said bait and gear across the frozen expanse of wind-blown ice, and frozen patooties. Next time we hit a local resteraunt - or fished a lot closer to home in a borrowed shanty.

Can we bait the doves with rat glue strips? They go perching on my porch and thought hmmm, only if I can put those strips there and once they land on it, I can catch them for dinner! No shells to waste either! Yeah, my neighbors would be glad to rid of them but they would think "cruelty"...yeah, it would be.

Wishful thinking1

V, I hope your mum is getting along ok. I know it is hard seeing someone you love become older and less responsive, but I guess it happens to all of us at some time. At 71 she deserves to be foolish on occasion, and quit yelling at her!!!! :D
She always has an open invitation to Alabama, I think she may just need so warm sunshine!

Sam, I was one of those fools who planted a month early! But compared to Montana, I couldn't contain myself when it was 90 in March!!! We lucked out this year, I think I will wait till the proper planting time next year....that would be good friday for here! I always hated waiting until after Memorial Day to plant, but in the north you really have to, otherwise Mother Nature will remind you!

Watching someone grow older is difficult and when the person you see is the one looking back from the mirror it is extremely difficult.

Watching someone grow older is difficult and when the person you see is the one looking back from the mirror it is extremely difficult.

Thankfully, with me being forever 27 that won't happen to me!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom