Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Last night around 8pm, during the heigth of a thunderstorm and torrential downpour, Hope's oldest son called to say his wife's water had broke and they we headed for the hospital 30 miles away. So this morning after checking to make sure her stepfather was okay and that he took his medication, she headed for the hospital to sit with her son & daughter-in-law. Finally late this afternoon she called to inform me that the twin girls had arrived. Fortunately she was able to deliver them through natural childbirth. One weighed in at 6 lbs 8 oz and the other at 6 lbs 4 oz. That brings the count up to 5 granddaughters and 1 grandson.

After a gloomy day the sun has finally decided to make an appearance. Since I picked up a weed eater from the repair shop I thought I might take advantage of the pleasant evening weather and do a little weed control. Little seemed to be the operative word. I hadn't gone more than a few few when I promptly ran out of gas. That was all it took to wipe out the little bit of initiative I had. Tomorrow seems like a much better day to tackle that chore.
Congrats to you and Hope!! I'm sure after so many sons, granddaughters are welcomed and spoiled rotten!!

Rather gloomy here this morning and doesn't appear that it will be much better until tomorrow. Rain and thunderstorms will keep me from doing much beyond reading.

I have an appointment on Thursday with the Veterans Administration to discuss the possibility of the VA picking up some of the costs of my hearing aids. Due to all the gunfire and demolition the audiologist felt that part of my hearing loss is military service related and that I might qualify for a partial disability. With the cost of the type of hearing aids I need coming in at $6000 any assistance I can get would certainly help.

It has gotten rather irritating and embarrassing to constantly having to say "Huh".

Opa, congratulations to Hope and you on the twin granddaughters. Double Trouble
th.gif
Be persistant with the VA. They paid for my husbands hearing aids completely. They even furnish his batteries which can be a big expense. If it is at all service related then they should cover them. Doug is so happy with his. What and Huh was getting annoying and he missed to much when we were with groups of people. If they deny coverage you would be surprised what a letter from your congressperson can do. Most of them have a liason with the VA and are more than willing to help on your behalf. Enjoy and spoil the new additions. They go home with their parents!!!!

Th last few day have been particularly tough for Hope. Saturday morning she found her step father lethargic and speech slurring. Suspecting a possible stroke she immediately took him to the hospital. Initial testing found him to be in no immediate danger but he was suffering from a urinary tract infection. They decided to keep him for further testing and observation. Since then his mental state has rapidly gone down hill. His vocalization is either disconnected words or gibberish interrupted by brief moments of sanity.

Apparently a urinary tract infection can exacerbate the mental decline of Alzheimer patients and with him it has struck hard. He has become violent and now is restrained in bed. The doctors are hoping that his mental facilities will return to some semblance of normal once the infection is cleared up. They have informed Hope that in his current it is impossible for him to be released to anywhere other than a care facility capable of caring for potential dangerous patients. He presently is considered dangerous to himself and towards others.

As you can imagine this is requiring many heart wrenching decisions. Sadly she must also listen to both advice and criticism from well intentioned relatives. I have become so tired of trying to explain or worse, justify, her actions that I think should another round of "advice" occur I'm going to suggest that they come here and show us how it should be done. I would gladly step back and let them handle it.

In the twenty some years I have know her step father I have never found him to be to very likeable. He is extremely negative with an abrasive personality. Hope's child hood was nightmare and yet since he has no other children and his younger brother lives in another state, she has been able to put all of that aside and step up to the situation.

All of the above has made both Granny and I thankful that she is doing as well as she is. While she couldn't live on her own and her mobility is less than she would like, her mental capability is undiminished. She spent the afternoon making some new style diapers for the newly arrived twins and intends to make 2 dozen more tomorrow.

Opa, sorry you are going thru this, but it sounds like you and Hope are doing the best you can in a difficult situation! Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way!

hugs.gif
Its rough! I know!

What will they do to him now? Would they suggest to take him to nursing home now? I can not imagine him staying at his own home by himself now. It IS a danger to himself and people around him. Summer will be here and if and when he gets out again, he would lose his way back home, either die from misfortune befallen him or dehydration.

Hope is back to the hospital this morning and then she must deal with social services to insure that she is doing everything right to legally declare him incompetent. The first step in placing him in a nursing home. Sad, but it must be done. It is amazing how quickly he went downhill. What a sad way to finish ones time on earth.

Last fall my son Joe was telling me about one of his neighbors, a 98 year old widower, who was found dead in a pasture. Apparently he died while taking feed out to the cattle in one of his several pastures. Many of the neighbors were talking about how tragic it was while Joe was of the mind that it was an awesome exit from this world. To be 98 years old and still fully capable of raising cattle and handling the work that entails is nothing short of amazing. He and I both agree that dying at that age while engaged in something you enjoy doing would be the ideal finale.

Back
Top Bottom