Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Thanks everyone. Better day today. I gave her a sleeping pill at 11 pm last night and she slept until 8am. It is amazing what a good nights sleep can do for my attitude. I remember when my son was little and he asked why he had to take a nap. My answer: BECAUSE MOMMY IS TIRED!

It seems that sometimes doing the right thing is never easy. It often is more work than anyone would believe it to be. Or it changes your life in ways you'd never dreamed possible. Some days Granny has my patience stretched almost to the breaking point. She will request that "when it is convenient, there's no big hurry, but could you do .................". I've learned that my life will be miserable if I don't drop what I am doing and perform what ever task she wanted.

With Hope's stepfather, he was an ornery old cuss before he got sick and Alzheimer's hasn't improved his disposition. Add to that the inordinate amount of paperwork and the hoops to jump through to satisfy the government and it almost becomes overwhelming. Plus Hope doesn't seem to understand the necessary steps we must go through to satisfy the government requirements so she isn't particularly helpful.

Some days I would like to just walk away from both situations. MY golden years weren't supposed to be like this. However, I know that I could do that, but idle unspoken wishing does somehow seem to help.

While to the rest of the world it is admirable what we are doing for other but I think the truth is that we are also doing it for ourselves. We know that not doing the right thing would make us less. Perhaps in the eyes of others but more importantly to ourselves.

It seems that sometimes doing the right thing is never easy. It often is more work than anyone would believe it to be. Or it changes your life in ways you'd never dreamed possible. Some days Granny has my patience stretched almost to the breaking point. She will request that "when it is convenient, there's no big hurry, but could you do .................". I've learned that my life will be miserable if I don't drop what I am doing and perform what ever task she wanted.

With Hope's stepfather, he was an ornery old cuss before he got sick and Alzheimer's hasn't improved his disposition. Add to that the inordinate amount of paperwork and the hoops to jump through to satisfy the government and it almost becomes overwhelming. Plus Hope doesn't seem to understand the necessary steps we must go through to satisfy the government requirements so she isn't particularly helpful.

Some days I would like to just walk away from both situations. MY golden years weren't supposed to be like this. However, I know that I could do that, but idle unspoken wishing does somehow seem to help.

While to the rest of the world it is admirable what we are doing for other but I think the truth is that we are also doing it for ourselves. We know that not doing the right thing would make us less. Perhaps in the eyes of others but more importantly to ourselves.
I think that it is important to keep in mind....that the difficulties that one DOES ENCOUNTER in "dealing with Gub-Mint paperwork, etc" are most likely EITHER impossible OR doubly-difficult for the person whom you may be assisting.

Just as when YOU and I were children in need of assistance from the "Old Folks", ...when the "Old Folks" get truly OLD and/or SICK.....it is time for "reciprocation" ( pay-backs ).

( NOT a "criticism"....just a "comment". )

- THE Curmudgeon -

Just popping on to say hi. Hoping everyone is doing well. School is almost out for the summer, most of the yardwork is done. The garden is mostly planted, it would be all finished but it seems like every time I have a chance to do it it is raining out.

My oldest has taken over the care for the chickens as a way of earning an allowance, and now he wants more. Chicken fever has gotten another one!

More chickens, or more allowance?
lol.png

Both!
Either way I am getting off easy. Well, maybe not. He does the lawn, weed whacking, trash and chickens for 25 dollars a week. It seems pretty cheap until I figure in room and board and clothes. Seeing that he is 14 and built like a linebacker (eats like one too) maybe it is not so cheap after all
big_smile.png

I can remember what it was like to feed bottomless pits. I thought for a while that I should have given them all the same name...............Hoover.

Back
Top Bottom