Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Cowboy Troy sure figured out how to bring rap to country.

Ever try to figure out how many country songs mention chickens? More than you'd think. With my current cell phone I can assign ringtones to individuals. When anyone from BTC calls it plays a portion of this one

Sun has risen enough that I could see the two traps that I set last night and both had coons in them. Now there are two less but I'm sure there are still many more.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
frow.gif
, it's definately been way to long since I posted here. They really need an app for the smart phone, as I am rarely at my computer these days!
I hope everyone is getting along well with all the heat in the states, so far it has been a long hot spring and summer. We are finally getting some much needed rain so maybe my water bill will be barable next month!

It's been some time since I've posted but things in my environs have been so quiet and boring I feared reading of such might cause you to become comatose.

The unusually warm weather has sure played havoc with many things. This will be a year without any apples on my trees and the thought of not being apple to press cider certainly is discouraging. The lack of rain fall and the triple digit temperatures have resulted in my grass becoming brown and brittle. When you walk on it it sounds and feels as if you are waling on straw. Of course the weeds have continue to grow and they are the only thing green in my yard. If anything the heat seems to make them thrive.

The lack of rain has dropped the area lake levels to the point that launching my boat is very difficult and the high water temperatures has made the fish lethargic and unwilling to bite. With my sonar I've been able to locate vast schools of fish but we haven't had much luck in triggering a hit. Friday evening we fished for several hours and only caught a few small fish. Nothing worth the effort to clean them and had we done so the resulting fillets wouldn't have fed a small child.

On Saturday I built 2 minnow traps with the hope that using the baitfish common to the lake would trigger a bite but that effort was in vain. I set both traps in shallow water and as I was backing out from setting the 2nd trap I dislodged the first and had to reset it. As I did I found that it had caught over 2 dozen minnows of an ideal size for crappie. As it turned out 2 minnows were more than enough as we never had a single bite.

I've been thinking about our darlin' Thistle and about how many things have changed since I left Europe in 1967, It's hard to believe that they will be driving across several countries as they travel to her husband's new teaching position in the Czech Republic. When I was stationed in Germany borders were heavily guarded and I remember looking thru binoculars at Czech soldiers as they looked through binoculars at me. The entire border was restricted and we were not allowed to enter into a 5km buffer zone between us and our potential foes. Now East Germany no longer exists and entering the Czech Republic is not much different than it would be to drive to Ohio.

Quiet and boring can be a good thing at times. We are having a very cool summer, more like an extended spring. I am not complaining! Especially how summer is going in other parts of the country. It is just different having low misty clouds until noon this time of year. Normally the lawn is brown and crispy, this year it is still green and growing. 44 degrees a couple of mornings ago. Makes for slow growing tomatoes but jungle like growth in the Swiss chard patch.

I typed a very long post this morning. It was extremely well written with many things that were either deeply profound or extremely witty. We're talking a long post that I know you would have enjoyed reading. However, I must have hit a wrong key or something and it instantly disappeared into cyberspace. So you will just have to take my word that it was great and hopefully you will respond to my question "How ya'll are"?

Back
Top Bottom