Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

One upside to being old is that you have lots of memories. My best friend and I have known each other for 50 years. We've shared in the day to day occurrences in each of our lives. We've shared in times of joy and in times of sorrow. We've shared many adventures and we continue to share in life's journey.

However, some memories are yours alone and it's amazing when something you've heard or read will bring a person or an event to mind. Yesterday I heard of a tragic drowning at a lake near where I grew up. While thinking of the tragic ending to two young lives I suddenly remembered a time when I was at a swimming beach at the same lake.

It was 1962, I had a 55 Chevy, and had taken a nubile young thing to the beach. Life was good. My first set of wheels, a pretty girl at my side, yep life was definitely good. We frolicked in the water and then laid back in the sand to enjoy the sun.

As I lie there thinking how nice the day was turning out she noticed the high diving platform. Like it was yesterday I remember her remarking how see guys diving from a 40' tower into the lake was the most unbelievably brave thing she had ever witnessed. Before the words had barely passed her lips I found myself climbing the ladder to the highest platform. Once committed I immediately realized the foolhardiness of my bravado.

As I reached for each higher rung I thought you don't need to do this. Another rung or two. You shouldn't do this. one or two more. I can't do this. Then I looked down. She seemed about 3 inches tall as she stood there in the crowd of onlookers. As I started to stop and move back down I discover several others on the ladder would have to back down to allow me off.

That's when in spite of the height I could recognize many of the faces in the crowd below. Many were from my school. Several were girls I was attracted to. If I climb back down I'll never be able to attend school again.

Quickly grasping the remaining rungs I stepped on the platform, stepped to the edge, and dove. Falling at what I'm sure was close to the speed of sound I knew I was going to die. The water, I'm sure, was going to be much too shallow. Why did I do this?

After falling for an eternity, I hit the water and it felt not dissimilar to ramming your head into concrete. But to my surprise I didn't die. I swam to the shore with a confidence I had never remembering feeling before. I knew she would know that I was someone special. One of the brave ones.

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered her talking to her old boyfriend. He had approached her before I dove and she hadn't witnessed my sorry attempt to impress her. I can't remember her name, or even what she looked like, but as I think of her now I can't help but wish she married that guy and now weighs 150 pounds more than she did then.

Last edited:
BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the chuckles!
gig.gif

Opa your story made me think of my hubby. He worked security at the 96 Olympics in Georgia. He was in the water arena and on one of his off duty times jumped or rather stepped off the 30 meter board. He said he almost changed his mind. Whatever sprayers they have on to see the pool surface were off so he could see straight to the bottom of the pool. Crazy man, but it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Someone took a picture of him mid-air and later sent it to him. Tough to change your mind when you have spectators.

Back
Top Bottom