Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Raising my sons I often found reading Mark Twain to be quite helpful. Many of his quotes I was able to use as a guide. Some of the more memorable were "If you always tell the truth you don't have to remember anything". "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns things he could learn by no other way". "Always do right. This will gratify some and astonish the rest". "Laws control the lesser man. Right conduct controls the greater one". "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them".

I wish my boys liked to read. They do the reading required by school, but getting them to crack a book for enjoyment is another story. I don't get it, because I love to read. I go to the library a couple times a month and fill up my bag with books. They do love to play outside, so that makes me happy. They are not the type of kids who sit in front of the tv or computer all day, so at least I don't have that problem.
smile.png

My daughter and I LOVE to read books! However her handwriting skills are not that great.

Now Mark Twain, it reminds me when we went to Pere Marquette State Park, near Alton, IL.....mentally noted to go visit Mark Twain's Hannibal, MO......never been there so I would like to know what to do there!

Of all the time I've spent in Missouri I've never made it to Hannibal. Don't know why, always wanted to. The older I get the more I find that I regret the things I haven't done more than the things I have done. I suppose that is a good thing but there sure are more things to do in life than there is time for.

I wish my boys liked to read. They do the reading required by school, but getting them to crack a book for enjoyment is another story. I don't get it, because I love to read. I go to the library a couple times a month and fill up my bag with books. They do love to play outside, so that makes me happy. They are not the type of kids who sit in front of the tv or computer all day, so at least I don't have that problem.
smile.png
For what it's worth, my kids will read what interests them. If it is not interesting, they will not read the book.

I help them find a book I thought might interest them--dinosaurs, or farm animals were their favorite subjects. That got the ball rolling. If they are interested, the book will be all read in a day or two. ANd I know what to pick again.

Treasure Island was a big hit; then Mutiny on the HMS Bounty; the old son just finished The Incredible Journey. I will read this one out loud for both kids to hear and then show the movie Saturday night, and then have a discussion comparing the movie to the book.

How old are your boys? Many librarians are very helpful knowing what children might like based on their age and reading level. Our town librarian used to be a grammar school teacher.

Last edited:
I have a cousin who lives in St Louis and she recently called Granny to ask if we would mind having some company. Of course we were excited that she wanted to come. She arrived Thursday morning and will be flying home Monday evening. It has been a great visit and Granny is just beside herself she's so happy that Margie came.

Today two of my brothers and their families will be coming so we will have 17 people sitting down for a buffet style lunch. I've smoked several chickens, made potato salad, and the baked beans will go in the oven in a little while. David is bringing a pasta salad and my brother Paul is taking care of the desserts. I'm sure it will be a great meal but the most important thing is family getting together.

Probably going to need a ladder to get Granny down from the cloud she's on.

There is nothing like spending time with family. I know some families can't stand to be around each other, but I love seeing mine. None of us live very close together, due to military service and the scattering of us across the country, so each visit is precious to us. Granny is in for a great day!

OPA - sounds like you have a wonderful family!

For the mothers - My son read later than my daughter. Don't give up.

Also, the fine motor skills for handwriting can come in late. Best not to push too hard until the child is ready.

Back
Top Bottom