Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Opa, we have a canoe also. Do you transport your canoe in your truck and the cart also to a location and then do you use the cart to get down to the river or stream?

Last edited:
My canoe is fiberglass and weighs 125 pounds. When I bought it in 1986 I was younger and stronger and I would carry it on a roof rack atop by Bronco. Obviously and sadly, I have gotten older and weaker and now transport it on a trailer. Also I have added a cedar duck board floor, swivel seats with backs, rod holders, and a battery. This probably has taken the weight to about 250lbs. When I wish to fish a stretch of river where there are only carry down canoe launch sites the new carrier will work great.

Another nice feature of the cart that I recommended is that it folds flat for transport

Last edited:
It really is an interest canoe design. It's 15' long and 44" wide at the center. It was made with an unusual hull configuration that makes it incredibly stable. It is Coast Guard approved for a 10 HP motor which propels it at close to 20 MPH and leaves minimal wake. It only draws 3" of water which allows me to gain access to a lot of spots.

Fighting a large steelhead or salmon and not anchored results in their actually pulling the boat. Vaguely reminiscent of Gregory Peck being pulled by the whale in the movie "Moby Dick".

That is exactly what I was wondering! We have had chinook pull the drift boat up river. Amazing how strong those fish are. Your canoe sounds very stable, not too wobbly netting a fish? Even with the broad flat bottom the drift boat it can get a little interesting when one of us has a fish on and the other is netting. Add a Labrador or a seal to the equation and things very interesting. Talk about a ride, last fall my husband hooked a salmon that was then grabbed by a seal. While he kept tension on the line a friend from Michigan, a steel head fishing guide, drove the outboard to keep up with the seal. My husband eventually got the fish and his fishing guide buddy got a great story to share with clients. If you hear a tall tale of fishing with seals in Coos Bay, it might be true.
big_smile.png

Thought I'd better Czech in! We arrived in Prague late Thursday/early Friday after a very long and weary journey, spent the weekend getting unpacked and having fun in Ikea kitting out the new house. Furniture is starting to arrive now so the place is starting to look more like home. The kids started their new school yesterday, they were very nervous in the morning but came out in the afternoon with big beaming smiles so long may that continue! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to be spending my days!

Back
Top Bottom