Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Highlander, What an exciting adventure for your family!!!! How are going to spend your days..........seeing everything there is to see, taking pictures and reporting back here, of course!!
caf.gif

that was a cool demonstration on how to separate an egg using a water bottle.

Highlander, it is so amazing that you all have the opportunity to move to another country and learn a new culture. I am sure you will find something to do, but being in new surroundings must be so exciting and a little scary too I am sure. Remember you have us here, and if you ever need someone to talk to you can always friend me on facebook if you are on it that is.

Thought I'd better Czech in! We arrived in Prague late Thursday/early Friday after a very long and weary journey, spent the weekend getting unpacked and having fun in Ikea kitting out the new house. Furniture is starting to arrive now so the place is starting to look more like home. The kids started their new school yesterday, they were very nervous in the morning but came out in the afternoon with big beaming smiles so long may that continue! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to be spending my days!
Two words Vee:

"Sight Seeing"
big_smile.png

For three years I looked at Czechoslovakia on a regular basis. Unfortunately it was through binoculars. At the time we weren't allowed to go there and there was a 5km exclusion zone in which we were not allowed to travel. It's nice that at least some parts of the world are learning to get along.

The visit with my cousin was great and Granny enjoyed it immensely. Margie's was born shortly after her father was shipped overseas during WWII. Sadly he was killed so she never knew him. Her visit allowed her to learn much about her father as she probed Granny's memory.

I love it when I see and problem and can figure out a way to overcome it. Most of the boat launches I've been to this year are extremely shallow. Launching requires backing so far in that the rear wheels of my truck are in the water. That then requires that I must wade to get to the trailer to release the boat and push it off. I knew there had to be a better method. After a little thought I decided to install a pulley at the rear of the trailer. A rope then runs from the bow of the boat, around the pulley, and back to the truck.

The first time I launched a man and his wife were standing near the launch site. I overheard the wife asking her husband to find out how I was able to launch so quickly. I must brag a little and say it worked far beyond my expectations.

However, when trying to use the long rope to bring the boat back on to the trailer another problem presented its self. It is difficult to bring the boat perfectly to the center. Off by the slightest amount and the boat doesn't track on the keel rollers.

Another evening spent thinking about how I could direct the bow without having to wade into the water. I finally decided that if I installed a pair of long rollers next to the first keel roller it might work. So with that plan I went on a search for materials. It turned out that the parts would cost more than $70 and without the positive certainty that it would work. So back to the brain burning.

When I rebuilt my current trailer rather that spend $150 for side guide rollers I used rigid conduit and PVC pipe. When I thought about it there was my solution. Rigid conduit. So yesterday I bought a stick of 3/4" conduit and after making a cardboard template in the shape and measures I felt work work I got busy with the conduit bender. For less than $10 I had a roller guide bracket. It stands just over 8" tall at the trailer sides and 3" tall were it butt against the center keel roller. A piece of PVC installed on the angled slope serves as the roller.

Sleep was difficult last night as I kept replaying launch scenarios in my mind. So this morning Hope and I took the boat to a nearby lake and did a trial launch. Pulled on the long rope and once again the boat shot from the trailer. Playing out enough rope to allow the boat to drift well clear of the trailer I pulled the rope tight and the boat came to the trailer at an angle. The bow bumped up against my newly installed fixture and immediately went to center

A few more tugs at the rope and the boat once again sat cradled on the trailer and my feet were still standing on dry ground.

Last edited:

Boat showing conduit guide roller bars

Pulley mounted at rear of trailer aline goes from bow, over pulley, and back to bow.

Back
Top Bottom