Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Current jelly is my favorite, and when I used to have access to fruit I would do a batch each summer. The recipe calls for 6 cups of juice, and the fruit is very seedy, so that kept me busy both picking fruit then seeding it for quite some time.

Last edited:
1muttsfan that brings back memories! My aunt grew several currant bushes. They were so sour they were safe from me ever snacking on them as a child. Made the most beautiful delicious jelly.

Opa, thank-you for the food mill info. They are great tools just wish there was an easier way to clean them. It will be worth the effort though.

Had every intention of going hunting this morning until the alarm went offf. The first two days was awake before the alarm but this morning I just didn't have the energy to head for the woods.

It has been exceptionally warm so obviously there is no snow and the lack of snow hurt my tracking efforts. Opening morning I shot a 160 class ten point and unfortunately he didn't drop. After losing the blood trail in a swamp I spent an additional two hours trying to pick it up again.

Yesterday I was back trying to locate him. The area is a muck bog rife with blackthorn and walking thru it is a challenge. Last year's tornado dropped trees helter skelter so trying to move thru it is a constant exercise of up,down, over, under, around. Three more hours of searching revealed nothing more than my age.

The shot at the buck was 130 yards and that is a long shot for a shotgun even with sabots. While I have made that shot quite often evidently when considering the minimal blood trail I hoping that he is still walking.

Due to several rush jobs David hasn't been able to hunt but this afternoon he will be going with me. Something about having him with me makes the experience more enjoyable.

Tried a new cake recipe and you should too. Fantastic use of over-ripe bananas

Banana Sour Cream Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3, the darker the better)
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
¼ cup oil
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
½ cup butter, softened
16 oz powder sugar
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
HEAT oven to 350 F
BEAT first 5 ingredients with mixer o low speed just until moistened. Stopping frequently to scrape sides of bowl
BAKE in 9" round pan for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
COOL completely
BEAT cream cheese and butter until well blend
ADD powdered sugar gradually
REMOVE cake from pan and carefully cut in half with serrated knife. Place top down on plate and spread with some of the frosting. Top with remaining half of cake then frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Press nuts into sides. Keep refrigerated

Last edited:
Tried a new cake recipe and you should too. Fantastic use of over-ripe bananas

Banana Sour Cream Cake
1 yellow cake mix
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3, the darker the better)
1 cup sour cream
3 large eggs
¼ cup oil
1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz)
½ cup butter, softened
16 oz powder sugar
1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
HEAT oven to 350 F
BEAT first 5 ingredients with mixer o low speed just until moistened. Stopping frequently to scrape sides of bowl
BAKE 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean
COOL completely
BEAT cream cheese and butter until well blend
ADD powdered sugar gradually
REMOVE cake from pan and carefully cut in half with serrated knife. Place top down on plate and spread with some of the frosting. Top with remaining half of cake then frost top and sides with remaining frosting. Press nuts into sides. Keep refrigerated
that sounds fantastic! What size pan did you use?

*sniff sniff* I thought I smelled cake somewhere!
big_smile.png

Sounds lovely Sam!

It's nice that at my age there are still things that amaze me. It had been a month since my darlin' Thistle last posted on this thread. Yet, mere hours after posting the above cake recipe she's here. Her ability to detect cake astounds me. Over four thousand miles separate us yet here she is.

I edited the cake recipe to include the pan size.

Been awhile since I've posted on this thread. Between hunting, fishing, and a general sense of laziness I've been remiss. However, today I figured it was time to brag on myself a little bit and prove to you that even an old fart can come up with a new idea.

My granddaughter Morgan is almost impossible to buy for. She is fourteen going on twenty one. With her living so far away and my only seeing her for a few days once or twice a year I'm always playing catch up with what she is doing and what her likes are.

I've been trying for weeks to figure out a Christmas gift for her and finally decided that the only thing that made sense would be a gift card. As I searched the internet looking for the suitable card I found a site that will let you design a card using their large library of stock photos or one of your own. Every site I had looked at charges a small fee for Visa or Mastercard using a generic format and this one had the same fee charge using my provided photo.

I selected a headshot picture of Morgan at a rodeo wearing a cowboy hat. Now when she uses the card and they ask for identification she can say "Hey look at the picture".

GirfCards.com was the site I used

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom