Open beak breathing and slight gurgle

GardenYogi

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 13, 2012
Houston
My golden comet is just over 8 weeks old and has been breathing with her beak open. I origionally thought it was just panting, because it's been so hot here, but last night I noticed it was becoming more constant. I read some posts last night and was freaked out by gapeworm, but the only symptom is the open beak. She extends her neck on occasion, as they all do, but not excessivly and she doesn't 'pump' her neck. I watched a video last night just to visually see what the behavior looked like and it's not that (at least at this point!)

I don't know how to 'gently pry open her beak', she's one of my sweetest and most calm, but even she was like, 'mom, what are you trying to do??'. She seems a little uncomfortable, but is still eating, drinking and hanging out with her best friend. I am supposed to head out on a trip tomorrow, but am really nervous that there's something wrong that needs to be treated straight away. Just now while holding her I heard a little gurgle. Up until this point I have not heard anything like that. She's a quiet one, so I can't say there has been a decrease in her 'chirping/ clucking attempts'.

Please advise. Some of these posts scare the heck out of me. i have read about CRD and don't see any symptoms of foamy/ snotty mucus from her beak holes and her eyes are clear and bright.

Other peices of info that might be pertinant:

They free range 1/2 the day and have been eating organic chick grit, until two days ago when I started intergrating crumble. 60/40

Poos, I have three and try to watch for abnormalties and who's poo is who's, but they'll been in an inside pen, since the last one is not fully feathered and our day coop was attacked by a coon. They're all a little runny since I gave them watermelon.

Housing- inside still at night, soft wood shavings.

Feathers/comb-feathers are soft w/ a nice sheen. Her comb is just in development so mostly yellow, but turning pink/ red at the base.

I appreciate your advice in advance! I'm ok, to cancel my trip, I just need to know what to do or what to have my chick sitter do if I leave.

Thankyou!

Sarrah

Hi AOXA,

Thank you for the link--that was informative! I ended up taking her to the vet, as her breathing became really labored through the night and she was laying down lethargically against her food and water just panting and looking at me in pain. Her voice also be came really raspy. The vet didn't find gape worms (thank goodness!!!), and it wasn't but did find some bacteria. Her stools were tested as well for parasites, but came back negative--expensive test(s) and visit, but, worth it knowing that it's nothing contagious or lethal. I just lost my little black star last week to a raccoon, so my foursome has suffered a significant loss. With another seriously wounded from raccoon--they've all been a little stressed (and sad I am certain) this last week.

Even after just one day on the antibiotics--she's so much better. Not gaping at all. Her voice is still a little raspy, but the vet said it was from the phlegm in her trachea.

Also, to answer your last question--yes, they are pine shavings.

Thank you!

Sarrah

Do you know what bacteria and what the antibiotic is, just out of curiosity? Am really glad she's doing better!

how are the raccoons catching them? Maybe there is a simple way to make the coop raccoon proof.

Back
Top Bottom