Open beak breathing

JoyV

Songster
Aug 30, 2019
Newbie here! We purchased 5 chicks yesterday from the feed store. We have had less than 24 hours. I see that most seem to be doing open beak breathing. Is this okay, or a signal of something respiratory? They are in their brooder with clean water, medicated chick starter and the bedding is wood pellets. The temp is 92% according to the thermometer. Thank you!! Joy

Attachments

• C7AF88FA-FA69-4674-904B-49B35D3F9F33.jpeg
    C7AF88FA-FA69-4674-904B-49B35D3F9F33.jpeg
    694.5 KB · Views: 14
I’m not an expert as have never dealt with this with my chicks this year so I may be wrong

but when I first saw the pic I thought the wood pellet flooring was pellet chicken feed, so I’m assuming maybe the chicks think the same, and because they are so little and their throats are too, maybe they are eating the wood pellet thinking it’s food along with their chick starter.
This is just an idea, I really hope your chicks get better though.

They haven’t eaten it that I have seen. This is the exact same flooring they had at the feed store so I don’t see that being a problem. Thank you for your input however!

Your brooder needs a warm space and a cooler space. Your chicks are likely too hot. FWIW, I don't buy the 90-95 degree first week "guideline" anyway and go by how the chicks are acting.

Your brooder needs a warm space and a cooler space. Your chicks are likely too hot. FWIW, I don't buy the 90-95 degree first week "guideline" anyway and go by how the chicks are acting.

Thank you! The lamp is only Over one side.. I did however just check the actual room temp and it’s like 85% so I’m thinking the actual room is too hot.. what do you think? I’m in Arizona by the way!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 11
Thank you! The lamp is only Over one side.. I did however just check the actual room temp and it’s like 85% so I’m thinking the actual room is too hot.. what do you think? I’m in Arizona by the way!
I’d get the room cooler and see if they stop breathing with their mouths open. If not, let us know!

Thank you all for the responses! The room will stay about 85/90. It’s a hot laundry room.. do you think I should unplug the heat lamp?

Back
Top Bottom