Open chicken coop in winter.

GrantKazSpaz

Chirping
Jul 13, 2018
I have two chicken coops that were store bought. Where I live it’s starting to get really cold. And this morning I came out to see my girls shaking and shivering and crowing. Their water was also frozen. What should I do to the coops to keep the chickens warm? And how could I keep the water from freezing? Should I put a heater in the coop? Here are some pictures of the coops.
upload_2018-11-10_9-34-54.jpeg

My husband wrapped our chicken coop sides, where they roost, with plastic. We also have a special water dish that heats up and stops the water from freezing over or being too cold. There's also straw bedding we use which keeps our girls warm.

Heated water is nice for people, but it is not necessary for chickens. If you don't have heated water, you do need to carry down fresh water each day.

I am afraid to ask how many chickens do you have in that set up, cause it is very small. A lot of chickens in a small area can really build up moisture FAST, from their droppings and their breath. Damp chickens are cold chickens.

So contrary to what you might think in order to keep chickens warm, you need to add more fresh air, better ventilation not more heat, not trap the heat mentality.

I do agree with the plastic wrap around the run, but you need it several inches short of the roof. Almost ALL PRE FAB coops do not have near enough ventilation. If you see moisture on the inside, you do not have enough ventilations.

Deep bedding, as in REALLY deep will help. In a very small coop, one really needs a poop board, or hammock to be able to remove the poop daily. Otherwise ammonia and moisture will very quickly build up.

Mrs K

Yes, at night I shout them in the coop. I put bedding in their roosting boxes, but not on the regular floor.

Back
Top Bottom