Open run

AshliMal

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
We have a small backyard and our chickens have an open run. We have a big patio umbrella for rain and they have under the raised coop for rain cover as well. But half the run is open.
it doesn’t smell at all when it is dry but it really starts to smell when it is wet. We built it this summer so it is still mostly grass, only 4 little bantams. We are wondering if we should spread sand, or pea gravel or some mixture of both to help with the smell when it is wet?
anyone have any advice on what to put down in an open run?
thanks!!!!

Issue with gravel is poop will eventually wash down between the stones and then start rotting down there, which causes even worse odor.

Sand as a general rule works best in a dry environment, so it's optimal for an arid climate like a desert. It works best if you clean it regularly (daily) because it's not a composting system.

How big is the run? I recommend deep litter but depending on size of the run it may work, or may not be as great. It allows for drainage in a wet environment and helps stabilize mud, but it does need a certain amount of volume if you're hoping to have it compost down the poop in the run.

Issue with gravel is poop will eventually wash down between the stones and then start rotting down there, which causes even worse odor.

Sand as a general rule works best in a dry environment, so it's optimal for an arid climate like a desert. It works best if you clean it regularly (daily) because it's not a composting system.

How big is the run? I recommend deep litter but depending on size of the run it may work, or may not be as great. It allows for drainage in a wet environment and helps stabilize mud, but it does need a certain amount of volume if you're hoping to have it compost down the poop in the run.
Sand definitely won’t work for us then, we are in the pacific northwest! Very wet not at all desert like.
would deep litter work for a wet climate?
our run isn’t too big, about 15 feet by 6 feet. the other issue is, is they are very much “backyard chickens” we have a small property so more concerned about smell than most.
i totally under Chickens will have a smell just trying to mitigate it as much as possible!

would deep litter work for a wet climate?
our run isn’t too big, about 15 feet by 6 feet. the other issue is, is they are very much “backyard chickens” we have a small property so more concerned about smell than most.
i totally under Chickens will have a smell just trying to mitigate it as much as possible!
Oh, then you have my kind of conditions. My run is completely uncovered and I use deep litter because it provides good drainage during wet weather, controls mud by protecting the soil underneath, controls odors by letting healthy bacteria compost poop in an aerated environment (which is why chunky wood chips are the ideal base material) and it's free (my wood chips are sourced from my yard, as well as weeds, garden trimmings, dried leaves, dried grass).

For 4 bantams a 15x6 run is a pretty good space so I don't anticipate too many issues with using deep litter at your location, as long as there's no drainage issues where the run sits.

Oh, then you have my kind of conditions. My run is completely uncovered and I use deep litter because it provides good drainage during wet weather, controls mud by protecting the soil underneath, controls odors by letting healthy bacteria compost poop in an aerated environment (which is why chunky wood chips are the ideal base material) and it's free (my wood chips are sourced from my yard, as well as weeds, garden trimmings, dried leaves, dried grass).

For 4 bantams a 15x6 run is a pretty good space so I don't anticipate too many issues with using deep litter at your location, as long as there's no drainage issues where the run sits.
Oh Amazing! we don’t get any standing water where the run is.
i am off to research all the things Deep Litter!!
thanks so much for your help!

Back
Top Bottom