1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

open wound---should I stitch?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by good hententions, Oct 9, 2011.

1. good hententions

good hententions Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    Two weeks ago my BLRW wouldn't come out of the coop and couldn't stand up. I posted for help at that time but really never found out what was wrong with her. A couple of days ago I noticed that she had started hooking her right leg over her wing. There was no injury at the time but today I see that she has clawed herself raw. I've posted some photos of the area and would appreciate any info on how to care for this injury.

This was the title of my original post but I don't know how to post a link. There is more info there if you'd care to read the background.
    Weak and can't stand up--what could be wrong?

Thanks for any help!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Oh my goodness, What happened? Was she attacked by something? Do you have a local vet you can take her to? I hope she makes it, praying for her.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That is a very nasty wound. Now you will have to worry about infection too. Are you sure she's not better off euthanized? 2 weeks with her legs like that?

4. good hententions

good hententions Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2011
    I hate to put her down because she has been showing improvement. At first she couldn't even hold her head up and today she was trying to stand.

5. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Don't give up on her.
    i am battling my own emergency at the momment with an almost identical looking bird i just got last week. my new post in a momment. keep up the fight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by