Open wound with maggots

Valthomley

Hatching
May 28, 2020
I have a white silkie that was attacked by something 3 days ago. We woke up with feathers all over the coop and expected to find a dead chicken but instead our silky had a large back wound with some tendons exposed. The first day she did not move around a lot but then after that for the past two days has been walking around eating and drinking just been kind of slow. I decided once I saw her moving about that I really need to clean her up some the first day I did put hydrogen peroxide on the wound but none since. Today when I picked her up I noticed a Maggitt in her wound which I figured would end up happening but I also noticed a lot of poop Stuck on her Hiney. I decided to bring her inside and bathe her off when I did so there were tons of maggots so I proceeded to try to get them out of the wound I clean the wound really well with warm water and then put anabiotic ointment under the skin to suffocate the maggots they slowly begin to crawl out and I picked them out one by one I blew her dry… Maybe 50% dry and put her in our brooder box in the garage is there anything else I should do

Keep flushing the wound regulary and keep using an antibiotic cream if possible. Keep her in a place where no more flies or bugs can get too her. If the wound is super deep like it sounds like you have described you may want to take to her a vet to be checked out if they will accept chickens. Some vets may even stitch up the wound if it would be nessescary. Can you post a pic?

Make sure the maggots havent gone to another part of her body! I'm dealing with this same thing right now. I bought screw worm spray from tractor supply. It was $8.99. My roosters wound looks a million times better after using it. Just make sure the maggots are actually gone. In my case the ones that weren't inside the wound I sprayed moved to his back and started getting under his skin..when I sprayed those ones they immediately started dying and falling off of him

Ok today she looks a little more lively head up, eating... I haven’t actually seen her drink but it looks like some particles in the water so I think she has. She ate her favorite treat-dried minnows - and is breathing smoothly. I have not inspected the wound, trying to give her a break. I attached a pic I just took of it

Attachments

• 350874BA-0D33-4B98-AA2C-4199D49E9B8C.jpeg
    350874BA-0D33-4B98-AA2C-4199D49E9B8C.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 20
Keep flushing the wound regulary and keep using an antibiotic cream if possible. Keep her in a place where no more flies or bugs can get too her. If the wound is super deep like it sounds like you have described you may want to take to her a vet to be checked out if they will accept chickens. Some vets may even stitch up the wound if it would be nessescary. Can you post a pic?
This is pic last night after cleaned and abx ointment

Attachments

• 7A9D0600-463E-49E3-B9AA-3AEBDDBEEFD9.jpeg
    7A9D0600-463E-49E3-B9AA-3AEBDDBEEFD9.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 20

Back
Top Bottom