opened 4 remaining eggs in bator...and also eggs under broody

Myst4

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
N.S., Canada
24 out of 28 eggs hatched fine...the last 4 didn't even pip. I left them in the bator and today I decided to open them (after I candled again to make sure there was no movement). In 3 of the eggs there were fully formed chicks,although they each had a mass attached to their bellies. Looked to be a sac of intestines and fluid. The 4th one looked to have stopped forming around the 14th day or so, mostly liquid in that egg.

Last edited:
I opened my 5 unhatched eggs :| They were fully formed from what I could see.. I didn't take them out and examine them as closely. But mine never even pipped into the air cell. So, who knows.

I've opened all my non-hatches. (Which is not a lot to date, since I've only done one hatch, but it meant opening a dozen eggs in two staggered batches.)

I resist. I really don't want to do it.

But I think it's a (hard) part of the learning about whether my candling was telling me the correct story, whether (as in once case) I might have succeeded if I had been more patient, etc. The only time I have been grieved by opening an egg was the one that I suspect would have/could have pipped if I had left it just a bit longer....That made me a bit mad at myself. Everything else confirmed that whatever had gone wrong probably wasn't ME....And that's affirming.

Susan

I just had to open them, just in case there was a chance they were alive and just too weak to pip. Speaking of which, I placed 14 EE eggs under a hen of mine that went broody on the 2nd of May. After a week or 2 I noticed that there were only 10 left(so I assumed she had destroyed the infertile ones). I have been checking every day to see if they had hatched.The other day I noticed that there were only 9 left, so I assumed that she had destroyed one that a chick had died in. Today, day 28 I decided to take matters into my own hands. So, I put together a long plastic tube(thin) and a thin nail nailed into one end of it(so if they exploded,I wouldn't get it on me) to pip some of the eggs. Every egg I pipped was rotten( ewwwww what a smell !!!!
sickbyc.gif
) All 9 were rotten.I would say they had stopped developing half way through. Anyway, I have locked the broody out of the brooding pen. I'm not sure what had happened, I do know that some of them were developing fine at the beginning,when I candled to make sure(the one and only time I did). And so, there you have it..... no babies from the broody. I wonder now, how long she would have stayed on those rotten eggs if I hadn't destroyed them....maybe until they all exploded under her.
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom