opened 4 remaining eggs in bator...and also eggs under broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, May 30, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    24 out of 28 eggs hatched fine...the last 4 didn't even pip. I left them in the bator and today I decided to open them (after I candled again to make sure there was no movement). In 3 of the eggs there were fully formed chicks,although they each had a mass attached to their bellies. Looked to be a sac of intestines and fluid. The 4th one looked to have stopped forming around the 14th day or so, mostly liquid in that egg.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Interesting...I don't know if I could open the eggs or not...I have four also that are not doing anything.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I opened my 5 unhatched eggs :| They were fully formed from what I could see.. I didn't take them out and examine them as closely. But mine never even pipped into the air cell. So, who knows.

4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I've opened all my non-hatches. (Which is not a lot to date, since I've only done one hatch, but it meant opening a dozen eggs in two staggered batches.)

I resist. I really don't want to do it.

But I think it's a (hard) part of the learning about whether my candling was telling me the correct story, whether (as in once case) I might have succeeded if I had been more patient, etc. The only time I have been grieved by opening an egg was the one that I suspect would have/could have pipped if I had left it just a bit longer....That made me a bit mad at myself. Everything else confirmed that whatever had gone wrong probably wasn't ME....And that's affirming.

Susan

5. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I just had to open them, just in case there was a chance they were alive and just too weak to pip. Speaking of which, I placed 14 EE eggs under a hen of mine that went broody on the 2nd of May. After a week or 2 I noticed that there were only 10 left(so I assumed she had destroyed the infertile ones). I have been checking every day to see if they had hatched.The other day I noticed that there were only 9 left, so I assumed that she had destroyed one that a chick had died in. Today, day 28 I decided to take matters into my own hands. So, I put together a long plastic tube(thin) and a thin nail nailed into one end of it(so if they exploded,I wouldn't get it on me) to pip some of the eggs. Every egg I pipped was rotten( ewwwww what a smell !!!! [​IMG] ) All 9 were rotten.I would say they had stopped developing half way through. Anyway, I have locked the broody out of the brooding pen. I'm not sure what had happened, I do know that some of them were developing fine at the beginning,when I candled to make sure(the one and only time I did). And so, there you have it..... no babies from the broody. I wonder now, how long she would have stayed on those rotten eggs if I hadn't destroyed them....maybe until they all exploded under her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by