Opening beak and shaking head

DanielleOrbach

Chirping
Jul 15, 2019
Austin, TX
What does it mean when a chicken opens it's mouth and bends its head to the side. I know I read something about it relating to the crop, but I can't remember where I saw it. I figured someone here would know. She seems healthy otherwise. She's growing, eating, drinking, pooping and her crop doesn't feel too large or hard. We've had worries in the past with her because her crop was so large and hard, but it was empty in the morning, so she's just a little piggy.

If she only does it once in a while, and all her other behaviors are normal, she's probably fine
How old is this bird?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
I'm sorry for the late reply, but we had to leave for church and she's been acting completely normal since then and I haven't turned my computer on since then. She is 21-23 weeks old, so she is somewhere between 5 and 6 months old. We are feeding a mix of the grower feed that we got from the farm we got her from which resembles scratch, but has a high protein content, and grower pellets that we got from a feed store. I am not home at the moment so I can't give you the name of either. She has been acting normal otherwise and we haven't noticed her doing that behavior since. She and the other pullet we got at the same time have been fighting quite a bit, but I think it is because she is the smallest bird and challenging her spot in the pecking order. The two of them are constantly cuddled up together when they aren't fighting and it hasn't gotten very violent, just lots of feathers on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom