Opening nesting boxes.

Teresa D

Songster
May 18, 2020
Wisconsin
My ladies are 11 weeks old now and loosing feathers (seeing quite a few in the coop), I have noticed them shaking their booties.
My question is when should I unveil their nesting boxes. I have them covered. I don't want them sleeping in them, but I do want to open them and not sure when I should do that. Any ideas on what I should do?

Attachments

• ky9rWIf4QAahO90r%Naz3Q.jpg
    ky9rWIf4QAahO90r%Naz3Q.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 27
We didnt build our nesting boxes until ours were about 16 weeks old. Good thing we did because 1 of our easter eggers laid at 17 weeks. You could open them up now but make sure they arent trying to sleep in there (I dont think they would since they are already roosting)

We didnt build our nesting boxes until ours were about 16 weeks old. Good thing we did because 1 of our easter eggers laid at 17 weeks. You could open them up now but make sure they arent trying to sleep in there (I dont think they would since they are already roosting)
Thank you for your reply. I will work on that project I’m going to put a curtain with splits to give them privacy

They don't need curtains on the nests.
They may need a longer roost that is about 12" from the wall tho.
They are 21/2 to 3 ft long I haven't measured them but they all fit up there. Ill check in the morning. I read a post that they like there private in their nesting boxes???

They are 21/2 to 3 ft long I haven't measured them but they all fit up there.

I read a post that they like there private in their nesting boxes???

Regarding roost, they fit for now, but they're not done growing... they're already looking a bit packed in the photo.

Regarding nests, some privacy, yes. Doesn't mean it needs to be very dark or closed off. I've even cut windows into a nest box before and the girls had no issue using it.

They are 21/2 to 3 ft long I haven't measured them but they all fit up there.
They might not won't once they get full size.
Pretty good rule of thumb is 12" of roost length for each bird.
They squish together in less space but flying up tot he roost and jockeying for position takes some extra space.

I read a post that they like there private in their nesting boxes???
Human projection.
They need to feel 'safe'.

Regarding roost, they fit for now, but they're not done growing... they're already looking a bit packed in the photo.

Regarding nests, some privacy, yes. Doesn't mean it needs to be very dark or closed off. I've even cut windows into a nest box before and the girls had no issue using it.
Thanks I will have to figure out how to make it longer.

Back
Top Bottom