Operable window latches - outside of coop?

Laurahowemt

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2020
Stevensville, MT
Hi Everyone-

I too have pandemic poultry, my very first chickens, like so many people have done. I built the run/aviary this spring, and now it is time to build their permanent coop within that. (I cobbled together a temporary coop for the summer). The aviary is in a relatively prominent spot on our property (sloping hillside, not too many convenient/easy options) so we want it to look nice. I want to put in 3-4 vertical sliding windows, but the problem will be that two of them will be all the way across the roosts (from the side) of a big access door, so not incredibly convenient to open/close. Those windows will be for summer ventilation, so unless we get a wicked storm they will probably stay open all summer. Winter ventilation will be up high on the other side of the coop, away from the roosts.

I have been thinking of easy ways to latch/unlatch them without going inside, and am wondering if anyone installs their windows backwards so the hardware is on the outside? That would also let me put the hardware cloth on the inside (without obstructing the hardware) so the outside window looks nice. I'm looking at typical shed/coop windows but I know those latches are a wee bit cheezy. I certainly don't want them failing and leaky drafty air in the winter right at the roosts.

I see all these cute coops with cute windows and wonder how on earth people put hardware cloth over the inside without getting in the way of accessing the latches and sliding the windows up?

Thanks in advance for your advice, this forum has been invaluable for me. I start building the permanent coop today!

Laura

In planning my coop, I"ve been assuming that the windows all have the hardware on the outside, whether they're completely outside the setup or just in the run. That way you can adjust the windows without going inside or having hardware cloth issues.

Not that I have seen. I've been looking online for chicken coop windows, and have seen many sheds and pre-made coops and the cheapo windows have the little tabs on the outer sides of the windows. I just read another thread where someone said to basically build a hardware cloth panel so that it can be hinged over the inside of the windows so you can open it and access the latches and to slide the window. But with my roosts, that would be a bit of a pain.

Are you talking about double-hung windows with glass?

Very few people bother with glass in a chicken coop window. Hardware cloth in the opening and a simple rain shield is more usual.

But I don't see any reason why your idea wouldn't work. :)

In our coop we repurposed some old windows that are hinged at the top & swing out. To latch them we used sliding bolts on the outside of the window, one at each corner. My husband has on his 'to do' list to build hardware cloth screens for two of the windows. They will be installed on the inside of the coop but not permanently mounted. There will be a pocket the top will slip into and little sliders that will latch into the window jam, like you would see on old storm windows.

Back
Top Bottom