Operation Dry Hatch

Wholewheatchicken: Poland is by youngstown if you know that area. And no not sure what happened, they had beaks poked out in some but lining white and dry looking and others didnt even pip lining. I did candle all my duck eggs since all chicks are done hatching and in brooder. They are not shipped eggs they are from my ducks they're due next week and out of 22 eggs 20 have embryos. So maybe just shipping egg luck. I followed what dry hatch said to do. Think I'll try staying at 50% and try some of my sister in laws millies before I pay for more bantam Cochins. But I really want some calicoes, laced and molted and my daughter wants some sizzles. I told her it looks like a chicken with a perm. LoL

Wholewheatchicken: Poland is by youngstown if you know that area. And no not sure what happened, they had beaks poked out in some but lining white and dry looking and others didnt even pip lining. I did candle all my duck eggs since all chicks are done hatching and in brooder. They are not shipped eggs they are from my ducks they're due next week and out of 22 eggs 20 have embryos. So maybe just shipping egg luck. I followed what dry hatch said to do. Think I'll try staying at 50% and try some of my sister in laws millies before I pay for more bantam Cochins. But I really want some calicoes, laced and molted and my daughter wants some sizzles. I told her it looks like a chicken with a perm. LoL

That's right, I remember now. I know I already told you I tried that Bill Worrell method and failed miserably. Mine were shrink wrapped just like you described yours.
I am hatching right now and I kept my humidity around 50% and the hatch is going great. I have two silkies and five or six Rhode Island Reds out so far and they're popping out like crazy!
I did buy a food scale and started weighing the eggs this last time. I didn't do it quite right, but learned to weigh in grams and not ounces so it is exact. I figured up a 12 - 13% weight loss over three weeks and tracked it. That helped me tremendously since I didn't know what the air cells were supposed to look like. I am going to keep doing that until I am able to eyeball it.

I know that area real well....my family is all over that area.
If you have any more problems let me know and I will talk you thru your hatch

Last edited:
That's right, I remember now. I know I already told you I tried that Bill Worrell method and failed miserably. Mine were shrink wrapped just like you described yours.
I am hatching right now and I kept my humidity around 50% and the hatch is going great. I have two silkies and five or six Rhode Island Reds out so far and they're popping out like crazy!
I did buy a food scale and started weighing the eggs this last time. I didn't do it quite right, but learned to weigh in grams and not ounces so it is exact. I figured up a 12 - 13% weight loss over three weeks and tracked it. That helped me tremendously since I didn't know what the air cells were supposed to look like. I am going to keep doing that until I am able to eyeball it.

so I take it you are happy with the advice I gave you....
hide.gif

mohillbilly: That would be great thanks for offering I hate loosing all those chicks and hopefully I can get it right next time! Soon as these ducks hatch I'll get few more milles.

so I take it you are happy with the advice I gave you....
hide.gif

I would like to hold the happiness you helped give me!!!!! That humidity is such an odd thing. I wonder why it is some people can incubate dry and stay very low and get a good result and if they go higher it drowns the chicks and others go low and it shrink wraps them and high pops the chicks out. Seems like it's individual depending on many factors. I'm just relieved I found what works here at my house! four RIR chicks left to hatch and two silkies. All have pips but one silkie.....at least the last time I checked. Maybe the little critter has decided to do something while I've been gabbing away up here!

mohillbilly: That would be great thanks for offering I hate loosing all those chicks and hopefully I can get it right next time! Soon as these ducks hatch I'll get few more milles.

I don't think you can go wrong with Mohillbilly helping you! I'm predicting very soon you are going to have beautiful cochin chicks to hold.

http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/Avian/pfs33.htm

Here is a handy reference list for sleuthing what went wrong with your hatch.

I need to study it to soak it all in. Pretty good stuff.

I think mine is a combo of temps and humidity. But that temp drop the last 2 days did not help.

I will figure it out. Hope everyone has good hatches!

My problem was NOT fertility. Took 24 eggs down the road to onawhimfarm and she had 18 rockers and hatch day is today, so I will get to see chicks from my flock in the next day or so, even though my hatch was not succesful on round 1!!
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom