Opinion on nesting boxes

let me know if ceramic egg works. I have been using golf balls to no avail and was thinking of picking up a ceramic egg...
I had golf balls to and those didn't seem to work so we shall see if the ceramic egg does the trick. We will see what tomorrow brings. At least today's eggs were right outside the nest box, maybe they will get in the box tomorrow!

Well I'm calling today a partial success. I just went out there to check on my girls thinking it was about laying time. I found the one I know for sure is a layer and the one I suspected is a layer in a corner on the side of the coop. The NH was laying down and the BA walked over and kinda kicked her out of the way and laid down. I figured she was about to lay her egg so I grabbed her up and put her in the nesting box. She kept looking to get out the opening I cut but I put my hand in front of it so she just decided to stay in and after a few mins she laid her beautiful egg. As soon as she laid it she was out though. I went to grab the NH and put her in the nest box, she saw Penguin's egg and scratched around quite a bit and then after a few mins she laid her beautiful egg. She had scratched all the wood chips away so I was a bit nervous the egg would crack when it fell but it didnt! So I got them to lay in the box, hopefully tomorrow they think the box was a good idea. Either way, I figured out who my 2nd layer is for sure and now I can't wait for the last 2 to start laying. I'm secretly glad to know the medium colored brown egg is my NH and not my EE. I really want a blue or green egg! :)

I know right? I don't think I'll get that lucky again to catch them both in time to move them if they aren't using the box. It's funny that they were on the same laying schedule 2 days in a row, they both laid about 4pm yesterday so I'd be surprised if they both laid again today, may not see an egg until tomorrow unless my other 2 decide to contribute.

Just as I suspected, no eggs yesterday but first thing this morning my 2 girls left me an egg... my NH was even so nice to lay it IN the nest box, yay. I'll take 1/2 maybe my BA will catch on as she sees my NH use it. And here's hoping the other 2 get the idea as well! :) I'm so happy.

Last edited:
Update!!! I now have all 4 of my chickens laying eggs... I started this month with only 1 layer and now have 4, how awesome is that!! Anyway after I finally convinced my 2nd layer to lay her egg in the nest box the 3rd one to start followed her lead! Then a few days later my 1st layer took the hint and decided the other 2 were laying in a good spot so she did too. And today my final layer laid her egg in the nest box! Yay, I am so excited, I was almost certain my girls would never lay in the box. I did put a porcelain egg in there but I don't think it was the fake egg that convinced them though, I think they really needed to see each others eggs in there to decide it was a good spot!!

Renee, I don't have a lot of experience (got my first chicks last summer) but what I have observed is that they really DO learn by example. When I got new, horizontal nipples for their water, they didn't know what the heck to do with them until one of them started pecking at a nipple, got some water and got excited...within a few minutes, they were all (16!) pushing each other out of the way to get a drink!

Same thing with the bucket feeder...they kept looking at it in wonder until one brave girl stuck her head in there and found the crumbles...all of a sudden, there was a crowd!

When my girls started laying, I would see one or two in a nest, and several others watching around, "talking" to each other about it...and now, they're all using the boxes.

I think that as they see the first girls laying in the nest box where you want them to, they'll all catch on.

Some recommendations I was given (which is a bit late for you, but maybe the next newbie reading this will benefit):

1. Get the nesting area ready for them before they're actually ready to lay, but block it off in some way so they can't get in there. Pricks their curiosity a bit, and allows them to get comfortable with the "new addition" before they start to lay...I think if the nest boxes are too "new" to them, they might not be comfortable with getting in there. Then, when you're pretty sure they're "on the brink", open up the area so they can get in there and check it out.

2. They prefer to nest in darker areas, so that's why curtains may help, or fronts on the boxes to close them in somewhat.

3. Keep the height a bit on the short side. Supposedly, this helps curtail them from pooping in the boxes. IDK if it's true, but so far, I haven't had any poopers!

4. If they have to hop up to get into the box, definitely put a roost or landing area in front so they can land, and then step in. Also, since my girls seem to "line up" to use the same boxes, this would allow one to check to see if the box is occupied before jumping on in there.

I have 5 boxes for my 15 hens (one of the 16 is a rooster) and they seem to use the ones on either end and the one in the middle. (kind of like the chairs in the doctor's waiting room...no one seems to want to be too close to their neighbor!)

Hope this helps someone!

Back
Top Bottom