opinion poll do you think Silkies or Cochins make better brooder hens

lacymorgan

Songster
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Kingman AZ
I am looking to get a breed specifically to get them for brooding. I am debating between some Silkies and Cochins not sure on the spelling on that one. Would love some opinions on broodiness

Definitely silkies.They are the best breed for going broody.Ive have five silkies and three of them went broody before they layed their first egg and they will go broody twice every six months(of course I break them most of the time,but they are also one of the hardest breeds to break being broody so it's a hard battle)it's not healthy for them to brood for that long,the most I hatch from them is twice a year.
Good luck

Last edited:
Definitely silkies.They are the best breed for going broody.Ive have five silkies and three of them went broody before they layed their first egg and they will go broody twice every six months(of course I break them most of the time,but they are also one of the hardest breeds to break being broody so it's a hard battle)it's not healthy for them to brood for that long,the most I hatch from them is twice a year.
Good luck
Ty I will make sure not to do over twice a year and not upset their regular laying cycle continuously I am looking to get broody hens. I would alternate them on who was able to brood. I already have it set up for a broody hen to have access to free water and food without leaving the nest for the first part of the brooding. Then she will have to get up and move around some Don't want her getting lethargic

I have both breeds, and they both make excellent mothers. One of my Sizzles (who is essentially a mix of Silkie and frizzled Cochin) is one of the best mother hens I've ever had. She spends all spring and summer sitting, hatching and raising chicks. She typically hangs onto her chicks for 8+ weeks, so I let her sit whenever she's inclined to do so.

You may want to reconsider your set up, however. I keep my food and water as far from my hens as possible when they're brooding (some I have to separate due to confusion on their part and getting back on the wrong eggs, some I don't). Anyway, if your hen has no reason to get off those eggs, you might find that she'll poop on them, which isn't a good thing. Its also good for them to stretch their legs every day and maybe take a little time for a dust bath if that's what they want to do.

I think you'll be happy with whichever breed you choose. You could even get some of each breed. I just ordered myself 4 standard sized Cochin pullets to use as broodies. Those big girls can cover more eggs than my Silkies and bantam Cochins, and they're better able to handle bigger eggs (I also have turkeys and ducks, so they'll probably be hatching more of those for me :) ).

Good luck!

I have both breeds, and they both make excellent mothers. One of my Sizzles (who is essentially a mix of Silkie and frizzled Cochin) is one of the best mother hens I've ever had. She spends all spring and summer sitting, hatching and raising chicks. She typically hangs onto her chicks for 8+ weeks, so I let her sit whenever she's inclined to do so.

You may want to reconsider your set up, however. I keep my food and water as far from my hens as possible when they're brooding (some I have to separate due to confusion on their part and getting back on the wrong eggs, some I don't). Anyway, if your hen has no reason to get off those eggs, you might find that she'll poop on them, which isn't a good thing. Its also good for them to stretch their legs every day and maybe take a little time for a dust bath if that's what they want to do.

I think you'll be happy with whichever breed you choose. You could even get some of each breed. I just ordered myself 4 standard sized Cochin pullets to use as broodies. Those big girls can cover more eggs than my Silkies and bantam Cochins, and they're better able to handle bigger eggs (I also have turkeys and ducks, so they'll probably be hatching more of those for me
smile.png
).

Good luck!
Ty very much for your input I will redo my set up in the morning. I have not bought the hens yet so I have flex room on how to set it up. TY TY

Silkies are definite better in my opinion. They are much friendlier during the incubation process (if allowed to sit on her eggs) and much easier to take away the eggs for your own incubator or for selling/shipping eggs - they don't get upset they just continue laying eggs. I just love the silkie breed.

Cochins if you want a mother that will teach her babies to be wary of dangers. Silkies are sweethearts but they aren't as intelligent as Cochins in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom