Opinion soliciting

Melky

Spring has sprung!
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
ok I for sure have 4 hens and three breeds at greater than 28 weeks at which at least three went into lay because I had three eggs in the box and I check every day twice per day. I believe all four are in lay because have three different colored type eggs. My breeds are Speckled Sussex, Golden Buffs, and Barred Rock. Can you tell me which egg belongs to what breed? I know what my guess is but for fun want all of yours.

C4408C9A-15B4-4395-8AB2-B418ED8655ED.jpeg

top right is speckled, so it's gotta be the speckled sussex right? :p

I'm teasing, of course there is no relation to the mottled feather gene and speckles on eggs....

But I would guess the lighter colored egg (middle right) to be the speckled sussex... based only on that they do generally lay a lighter 'tinted' color egg.

The rest though???.. as mentioned it's difficult to say with layers of similar color and size...

Just for info:
I have two dominiques and one lays a speckled egg... but only sometimes, the other never... I can tell they come from the Dominiques because they are the only two that lay an egg of that color, and size in my coop.

In any case that's a nice looking 1/2 dozen, I like your uniform size but still with just a bit of variation in color

Laying them down on their sides would give a better perspective.

But, Yeah, This:
None of those eggs, which are all stunning in their beauty and perfection, are distinctive enough in color, shape, size, and pattern to distinguish which breed was responsible. I suggest you take up nest box spying to see who is laying which eggs.

Thanks for all your responses. I have spied to no avail and it is too cold to go ice fishing right now to spy on coop. My girls are so secretive. Well here is my guess. I guessed the medium color brown that are all uniform in color are my Golden Buffs because I get twice as many of those and have two Golden Buffs twice as many Buffs as the other girls. So since Speckled Sussex lay light brown, I also picked the uniform light colored egg for my Speckled Sussex. So that leaves the truly speckled egg as my Barred Rock or I have a bird that lays two variations of her egg which I think is unlikely. OK guys thanks for your best shot. I will go back to peeping on the peeps when warmer likely super bowl Sunday as I am going from -18 with windchill this am to 60 on Sunday. Go figure!:)

Back
Top Bottom