OPINIONS NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    I had 6 babies due today. 3 Old English bantams, and 3 silver pencilled wyandoyyes. All fine at lockdown. 2 were born YESTERDAY...1 early in the morning, 1 in the afternoon. (both of these were the old english) 1 pipped last night, and has literally been all day today trying to get out. Not your usual "pip and zip", but rather just a big hole in the side of the egg. He seems to be really struggling, and on top of that, the 2 babies that hatched yesterday are picking at him. This one is also an old english. Having said that, out of the 3 wyandottes, not 1 of them has even made a single crack in their eggs yet. NOTHING. Seems odd to me that all 3 from one breed would hatch, but nothing from the other breed. Also, what I've really been struggling with for 2 hours is should I help the one trying to get out. I know that's a no-no, but he's really having a hard time and I'm afraid the others are hurting him when they peck him.

2. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Glad I'm getting so many replies to this!!!

3. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    I know it's difficult to just watch, but give it a while longer. MOST of the time when I have "helped" a chick out of the egg, there was something wrong with it in the first place.:(

4. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    would you have any idea why the other breed, the wyandottes, haven't done anything? Seems odd that one breed would hatch, and the other wouldn't.

5. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Well, the 3rd one came out finally....HE ONLY HAS 1 LEG!!!!!!. Doesn't seem to be doing to good.

6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If the egg is large, will hatch coup day late.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by