Opinions needed on my basement!

Sounds like you're building a man-cave. You definately won't want that shag carpet! You will be able to get your sports theme by hanging various posters, banners etc that you can get for cheap. A couple of jerseys or other higher end memorabilia added peacemeal over time along with some beer signs and other guy stuff will give you lots of options for Xmas, Bday and anniversary presents for the next few years.

Men like dark colors..they're like a boquet of flowers for us...makes it easier to see the football action or what lure they're throwing on bassmasters too. I know, I am one,... a man's man according to my wife. Get everything treated with scotch gard. Worth the extra few bucks. The centerpiece of the room should be a large TV and a vintage refrigerator, the kind that can take a bullet like a Kelvinator. Furniture is secondary so long as it's relatively comfortale, has a footrest and there's somwhere to set your beer. Invest in a quality dehumidifier if you don't have central air. I'd paint that wainscoting a neutral beige or blue-gray. Leave the ceiling exposed. Staining the beams and boards a cedar tone, adding some really cool man-stuff like iron rings, chains and eye bolts to some beams (flea market) and painting the ductwork a gloss black would give you an interesting industrial/dungeon look.

Just my crazy ideas.

No theme room if you plan to resell. When we were house shopping, any rooms that had those sports themed rooms sat on the market. Unless you get lucky enough to find a buyer who also love the GA Bulldogs, you will be turning a lot of people off. You could probably go with the theme, but make it less strong and more easily changed if you went with a grey floor and wall, with black and white accents. The black ceiling would be pretty strong and while it can look good, people seem to either really like it or hate it.

Back
Top Bottom