Opinions of closed or open flocks.

My flock is mostly closed, however there are certain birds that I would take a chance for. Sometimes there are bloodlines that you have to get your hands on with whatever means possible. lol

It's hard to have a closed flock when you don't yet have a flock.
tongue.png
I still want to add several breeds and divide my chickens into a bantam and standard flock. Maybe after I get the breeds I want setup but I don't know if I could resist adding new birds. I think the risk is entirely worth it provided precautions are taken. I don't think I'd buy random birds from auctions or swaps though. The only thing that would definitely cause me to have a closed flock would be if I started working seriously with one breed and had very expensive stock but that is not likely to happen.

I haven't tested my birds. No point yet. I'm still adding large numbers of chickens from other sources, rarely does anyone come on the property that was around other chickens, and there are no other flocks within miles. If I did end up with an at least mostly closed flock I might. If I had several dying and could not figure out any other reason then I would have them tested.

Open. Wide open.

I raise show birds and need new blood, either by eggs, chicks or adult birds when the need arises.

I show my birds as well, so there is no possibility of having a closed flock.

Quote:
Respectfully I say this, but, if it wasn't for people like you, we would not see or have knowledge of certain birds or understand the breeding lines.
There would be a huge loss of trial and error, sales and swaps.

I agree with both sides of this subject, admire those that can promote poultry, support this through a poultry club...yet I do not bring mine to show. Not to sure I have anything worthy enough to show.
These are chances a show/breeder must take, well will take, and personally I admire and respect you for showing us the quality birds. Thank you for being different!

I am the same with rodriguezpoultry I am trying to get into showing and improveing my bloodlines. I can not close. I always quartene. A friend of mines I met who has been showing and breeding for years reccomend that I keep all chickens seperated for at least a month after taking them to show and buying them and to keep disfencted(SP) To spray yourself down after coming home. That is what I do. I understand reasons for close and probably soon when I get set up good I will only by eggs from breeders and selected day olds and if i ever get burned out of showing I will probably close all the way.

Question whether or not to close my flock, with rare Spitzhaubens, I have to keep it open to get the best possible Spitz I can breed, getting hatching eggs or chicks and expect some losses in chicks or weather or disease that cropped up unexpectedly.

Once I do have the numbers to work with, then I will close my flock and only let in replacement roos or pullets to deal with.

I have a very good friend of mine that will board my roos for the late spring to early fall in her horse barn in cages, and she would quarantine them for a month for me if I dont have the room in my cages to do so. Not everyone can do that for you but it all depends on what you have and dont have!

For me, everyone is entitled to have an open or closed flock of their own reasons. Its not a bad idea either and what you do with your birds is all it matters to me and the TLC you give in them is very important. We all try our best to do the best we can be in chicken husbandry.

playswithfowl, I'd consider it open, but I'm sure others would consider it closed. Since, theoretically speaking, the "birds" were never born off of your land.

It's just that if those chicks from those eggs have some immunity to a disease and expose that disease to the new flock that has never seen it and has no immunity to that disease...well...

Quote:
There is a good question as some bacteria/conditions/diseases can be passed transovarian, meaning that the immunities are passed down. Those immunities are then often considered contagious.

Its a hard call to close a flock when most of us free range or allow our birds out of doors, wild birds spread a lot of conditions and their droppings, dust or that stuff is how a lot of these conditions to cross species.
You know, this is a difficult subject as we hear how closed people are- well closed flocks, yet if you want to better your birds, show them, raise more, I would suggest finding NPIP tested birds to lay those eggs.
I would have to say you do not have a closed flock if you are bringing eggs in, yet technically they are in quarentine during their first 19 weeks of life, so if you was to come up with a problem, the chick would die or show weakness- right?

question please, so, if i am a closed flock and only hatch eggs....and dont bring in any adult birds...cant i still get diseases through the hatching eggs? if so, then what do we do to protect our flock?

Back
Top Bottom