Opinions of cross breeding

No downside, really, I guess. Just depends on what you want. There is such a thing as "hybrid vigor". Some of my favorite birds are crosses of two purebreds, like my RIR/Buff Orp pullet, Meg, who lays consistently and many times, double yolkers. rooster-red just bought my two pullets who are Easter Egger/Barred Rock crosses and just beautiful. Very good layers, super friendly.

Last edited:
The only downside is you cannot re-breed the hybrids. The genetics go to chaos after the F1 mating. So as long as you keep purebreeds to do your crosses with, making hybrids is TONS of fun. Also, because of heterotosis, you'll find the F1 hybrids to often out perform their parent strains, live longer and have greater disease resistance. And when you get really good at making your own hybrids, then you can move onto ducks!

Would it be terrible to breed my mix pullet when she matures? She's the one I talk endlessly about, Seastar. It would be to a pure bred frizzle probably. I just want to keep her personality, but try to improve hardiness and appearance. I know frizzles a good natured, so is it a good match?

I am not really into the ornamental breeds, so I won't beging to speculate. I do know that the more colorful breeds/colors have been selected simply for color, rather than production qualities. Therefore, it may be hopeless trying to get strains of high egg production, or disease resistance, or longevity out of parent stock that were over-selected for feather color to begin with.

I think it is fine! your pets:jumpy

I grew up with pure bread dogs! allergies, bone problems, etc...

I think mutts are stronger better temperment
smile.png

wouldn't a cochin/leghorn be great to have around great personality lays everyday!
love.gif

i bred my aricona bantam female with my red frizzle bantams and got 2 chicks, they have frizzled feathers and puffy cheek . but today i realized they have 5 toes.@!!!!!!! there back toe has a toe growing out of it. like omg.!!!
th.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The only downside is you cannot re-breed the hybrids.

Does that mean that my New hampshire x leghorn hens wont breed?
Or my Production reds?

Im not sure now?

I had cross breeds that procreated when i was a kid......or i think i did???

Can someone please help me to understand

Cheers Happyhenz​

Oh, they will breed. They can breed into crosses of like 50 different things. Just that the initial traits you were breeding for, like egg production in a sexlink, won't be there in the F2 generation crosses. If they are just pets though and you don't care about the production traits, it doesn't really matter.

Back
Top Bottom