Opinions of cross breeding

Oh ok thanks for that.
I was doing a mini panic here! not good for an early Tuesday morning
wink.png

So its only the traits that suffer? coz i dont want to stuff any little chicky bubbas
smile.png

Thanks for answering so quickley.

Cheers Happyhenz

Cross away to your hearts content!

This little guy is a {Mottled Cochin X [(Naked Neck x Silkie) x Silkie]}.

276096038.jpg

I plan to mate him back with a mottled Cochin hen and get little Mottled Naked Necks.

This girl is {[(Naked Neck x Silkie) x Silkie] X Ameraucana.

276096042.jpg

I plan to mate her back with an blue Ameraucana roo for Naked Neck Blue/Green Eggers.

The ODDER the better
smile.png

Have fun!

Lisa

Let me try to summarize the results:

Purebreed #1 X Purebreed #2 = F1 Predicatable Cross Breed (1)

Crossbreed X Crossbreed - OR - Crossbreed X Purebred = Chaos!(2)

(1) Predicatable Cross Breed means it's repeatable and has higher productivity than either parent purebred due to heterosis.

2) Chaos means the genetics will go more and more random (or chaotic). No breeding is predictable, although the offspring may be pretty, useful or fun to live with. However, from the same eggs, you will get wildly different results in color, behavior, and productivity even though the eggs came from the same parents.

Thanks for that Greyfields.

Ok in i have 6 New hampshire x leghorn hens if i cross them with a PURE New hamp roo it should be a predicatable cross? see there will be 3/4 new hamp in the line?

Or will it be something chaotic?

can i "breed out" the leghorn in the birds thru this type of mating?

Cheers Happyhenz

Since the post asked for opinions of cross-breeding, allow me. My opinion is that cross breeding should be done to achieve a worthwhile goal.

For some, that means coloration/plumage, or some variant of that. Done mostly for show, to look pretty/different, or just to experiment or to prove you can do it, I say sure, why not? Such experimentation has surely led to serendipitous accidents in the past and you might develop the next "fad breed."

Sometimes there is a payoff in hybrid vigor, too, and that seems a worthy offshoot. But it doesn't appear in all crosses and doesn't breed true later. For the backyarder trying to maintain and even invigorate a flock, it is a dimishing return that is better left to hatcheries. Pure breeds true and the good qualities remain, so I say stick to them when breeding.

Since meat birds have about reached their peak in the Cornish crosses, I see little reason to expend effort and money along that line. Capons are another matter, but they are a specialty and not cross-bred at all, so dont really apply here.

But, there is one area where anyone can make meaningful, measurable improvements and that is with egg production. It is my opinion that there is no higher goal in breeding chickens than excellent egg production. IMHO, that is what you should cross breed for. Things like pretty feathers or goofy necks should take secondary status.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom