Opinions on best egg layers

Yes I have

Red stars and black stars are great layers of large brown eggs. RIR, BAR ROCKS good layers. I have 16 layers, get around 10-14 a day Isell my eggs pretty fast.

I bought 3 leghorn chicks 3years ago, planning to free range, before considering the coloring issue(first chicks I ever bought). I still have them & they have free ranged very well. One was badly injured by a dog,out all night in freezing rain & nearly at the point of death when I found her next morning--took her in the bathroom & resuscitated her with the blow dryer & warm water--vet gave me shots to give her (antibiotic with pain releiver). I babied her for a week & went through several tubes of neosporin on her terrible wounds. It took her a few weeks to get back in the groove but she's been giving me an egg nearly every day!

My Australorp is a sweetheart. I babied my cochin and she is my least friendly. But my Australorp runs to me when I go outside, lets us hold her, is gentle and sweet. I think a lot of it is how you deal with them when they are babies. Plus she lays everyday!

My Production Reds started laying at 18 wks and have laid a jumbo egg 6-7 days a week ever since, but they are one of the more common looking chickens in my opinion. If you are looking for more feather variations AND steady laying I would recommend Marans, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, and Salmon Faverolles. They all lay a good 5-6 days a week and come in a huge variety of colors. I have 13 hens at present and still only get about 7-8 eggs a day. The most I've ever collected in 1 day was 12 eggs, but that has only happened twice in 2 years. Unless you are looking to start a business selling eggs then I wouldn't worry about getting an egg 7 days a week from every hen. Hens will only lay a finite amount of eggs in their first few years before stopping altogether, and the more eggs they crank out in a year, the fewer years of laying you will get out of them. I say get a variety of breeds and just enjoy the rainbow of eggs! :D

My Production Reds started laying at 18 wks and have laid a jumbo egg 6-7 days a week ever since, but they are one of the more common looking chickens in my opinion. If you are looking for more feather variations AND steady laying I would recommend Marans, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, and Salmon Faverolles. They all lay a good 5-6 days a week and come in a huge variety of colors. I have 13 hens at present and still only get about 7-8 eggs a day. The most I've ever collected in 1 day was 12 eggs, but that has only happened twice in 2 years. Unless you are looking to start a business selling eggs then I wouldn't worry about getting an egg 7 days a week from every hen. Hens will only lay a finite amount of eggs in their first few years before stopping altogether, and the more eggs they crank out in a year, the fewer years of laying you will get out of them. I say get a variety of breeds and just enjoy the rainbow of eggs! :D

Your experience with Salmon Favorelles does not match mine. They were doing OK their first winter (born in June, 2012) but shut down for a month mid February. Even the Cubalaya kept laying. Then they went broody so down a week plus again. Then down for their first moult. One quit laying the beginning of August and didn't lay again until mid Feb. The other laid maybe 3 a week during moult (which is remarkable in my flock) and laid until the end of January, then quit for 3 weeks. Then last summer (now 2 years old) they did the broody thing again a few times, down for 1.5 to 2 weeks each time then moulted. The one that laid well her second winter shut laid all of August then shut down until mid February - 5.5 months without even 1 egg. The other shut down the beginning of October through February. They have both been broody twice since mid March.

If my girls are representative, I wouldn't put them in the "good egg layer" group and their eggs are the higher side of USDA Small to the lower end of Medium. The only breed I have that are worse layers than the SFs are the Cubalayas and they aren't expected to lay more than 2 or 3 a week. My EE that was taken by a fox a year ago laid about the same number of eggs in the year and a half she laid as one of my SFs has in her nearly 3 year life and that EE wasn't on the top of the productivity list.

Back
Top Bottom