Opinions on Blackhead?

PioneerChicks

Naturalist
Sep 4, 2019
Idaho -- currently roadschooling
My Coop
My Coop
I'm really excited about getting turkeys next year, but, I'm concerned about Blackhead. I do have chickens, but I can keep the turkeys separate from them. However, if possible, I would prefer not to change my shoes and shirt every time I go from the chickens to turkeys, and it would definitely be a no-no for animal sitters.

I have friends who keep their turkeys and chickens right beside each other, but other people get super serious about this.

What do you personally do about Blackhead?

I'm really excited about getting turkeys next year, but, I'm concerned about Blackhead. I do have chickens, but I can keep the turkeys separate from them. However, if possible, I would prefer not to change my shoes and shirt every time I go from the chickens to turkeys, and it would definitely be a no-no for animal sitters.

I have friends who keep their turkeys and chickens right beside each other, but other people get super serious about this.

Check around. If blackhead is not a problem in your area, you don't need to worry about it. Blackhead is not a problem here so I do nothing about it.

There are lots of other reasons to keep your turkeys separate from you chickens.

Check around. If blackhead is not a problem in your area, you don't need to worry about it. Blackhead is not a problem here so I do nothing about it.

There are lots of other reasons to keep your turkeys separate from you chickens.
Okay, I'll check around!

I will definitely keep the turkeys separate from the chickens, I was just wondering how far away they need to be, and if Blackhead would cause problems. Thank you for your advice!

Okay, I'll check around!

I will definitely keep the turkeys separate from the chickens, I was just wondering how far away they need to be, and if Blackhead would cause problems. Thank you for your advice!
If blackhead is a problem, the turkeys need to be kept off of any ground that the chickens have been on.

I raise turkeys and chickens together. I also have blackhead on the property. I keep young turkeys on oregano oil with piperine in their water until they are 10-12 weeks old. It works great as a blackhead preventative. I learned the trick from Peter Brown years ago aka the Chicken Doctor. I order it from First State Veternarian supplies. I also try and keep my chickens wormed. I find adult turkeys are more resistant to blackhead but on the rare occasion one of them gets it, if I catch it in time, I keep metronidazole (flagyl) on hand.

I raise turkeys and chickens together. I also have blackhead on the property. I keep young turkeys on oregano oil with piperine in their water until they are 10-12 weeks old. It works great as a blackhead preventative. I learned the trick from Peter Brown years ago aka the Chicken Doctor. I order it from First State Veternarian supplies. I also try and keep my chickens wormed. I find adult turkeys are more resistant to blackhead but on the rare occasion one of them gets it, if I catch it in time, I keep metronidazole (flagyl) on hand.
This is very helpful, thank you! I'll make sure to reread this post.

Thanks for the link!

Back
Top Bottom