Opinions on coop viability???

For $100 more, you could by the 8x8 wooden shed they have. I have teh Lowes version of it ( a bit more expensive) and am very happy with. No as high quality as a homemade one by my husband or father, but meets my "get it done needs"!

If you are only planning to have four chickens that means you will probably end up with 8 to 10! It looks like that shed is 3.5 x 7.5 and almost 8 feet tall. If you have an outdoor run it will be more than enough space.

Now, if you are savvy when it comes to building you can do what a lot of folks suggested and find material to make it cheaper. However, it will take time and a lot of effort to build...not to mention you will still have to buy some material. I have tried to do it cheap and always end up spending!

The only things you would need to do to that shed are:

**Cut vents in each side at the top - You can get the vent covers from Lowes for less than $2 each and use screws right into the plastic with pieces of wood on the other side (the screw goes into the wood kind of like a nut on a bolt).

**Cut a small door for the chicken access door. Again, you could make a door with a small piece of wood and screw the hinges into the plastic with pieces of wood on the opposite side to screw in to.

**Using the same principle put two small pieces of 2x4 on each side of the shed (outside and inside) to hold your perch.

You would have a very nice coop with hardly any modifications .... could all be done in an afternoon!

The Lowes play houses are not even that big. They are 4x4. I put two together and 12 birds sleep in one! only one chicken goes to the other side. As long as they can go outside they will be fine.

Last edited:
For only 4 chickens, why not just get a large dog house. That is what I have for my chickens. That way you could move it when you move.

My only thought on the coop you were looking at is that it's plastic. Attaching anything to is ( and staying on ) will be difficult if any modifications need to be done in the future. My advice is to build bigger than you need, you will want more chickens in the future. I built a tractor, insulated it, put roofing tiles on etc. and it cose us almost $300, yes, $300. I think some of the scavenger advice is wonderful. Also, let friends know what you are doing and maybe they have stuff to dontate to you as well.

Good luck, hopefully we didn't let you down.
If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Back
Top Bottom