Opinions on free-ranging one's chickens, and attempts at kindness

I can't even imagine WHY you should have to explain why you don't want him there. He isn't your bird!!! Good grief, you don't have to explain why you don't want a stray dog.....and it doesn't have to be because of disease, might fight, etc. it just simply isn't yours! This is one case where I would fight it every step of the way. Good luck.

Although I disagree with it, I'm afraid the law will probably not be on your side.

Most states have a black & white animal abandonment law.
If you let an animal out along the road or on someone else's property without permission, it is considered abandonment, even if the animal really lives there. If your neighbors dog comes to visit and you put it over the fence into their backyard, it can still be abandonment by law. You have to either contact the owner, or authorities before you do this.
While most of the time it is not a big deal, if someone wants to make a stink about it, they usually have the law backing them up.
Not all states rule like this, but I've heard of it many times, in different states.

If I were you, I would get written and notarized statements from the people you asked about who owned it, make sure you express that you thought you were doing the roosters owner a favor by returning it, and tell the judge you didn't intend to do anything unlawful, you thought you were doing what you were supposed to do. Ask what the procedure is that you should have followed, and apologize.
Be nice and agreeable. Do not say how stupid it is that you should be punished for returning the rooster.
You may just get a warning, or a reduced fine if you are sincere enough.

Good Luck!
Jean

Did you know the owner of the rooster? It may have been better to personally find the owner and return the bird in person.

It sounds like someone saw you letting the rooster go from the cage, and assumed you had just abandoned the bird.

Best of luck in court.

Well, my career as a "criminal rooster dumper" is thankfully over...spoke w/ the owner of "Rusty" (the rooster) and explained the situation, asking her to please go w/ me to court, to verify that I wasn't dumping the bird.

She is going to be out of town that day, but offered to pay the fine and "a little extra for your trouble", and after calling to our Municipal Hall, I was able to verify that I could just come down and pay it right then, so I'm now, once again, in the good graces of our (non-existent) animal control (and I'm carrying the documentation in my wallet, just in case!)

If I ever find a stray rooster on my property again, he IMMEDIATELY goes into the stewpot!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom