Opinions on nestboxes hubby built today

Somebody sure put a lot of planning and work into a coop that is that nice. Once the droppings board is put under the roost area and those terrific nests get a perch area outside them, there won't be any room for improvement. Sure do like your venting systems too.

I really have this group to thank....because this is where I did all the research! I'm just lucky my hubby is a builder by trade, and that we had some of the supplies on hand, and had a lot given to us as well (all the siding was free)

Angie

ANother question....can nestboxes be "too big?" I had read on here most people make theirs abotu 12x12".... I had told him that seemed to be the general "standard..."

He made these three 18x18". Do hens seem to like more private, confined, safe areas or will these be ok? Also....as far as sharing, as in like taking turns, or would a couple hens actually go in there at the same time? My girls aren't in the coop yet (obviously) and don't seem to care about privacy, they're in a horse stall in my barn and just laying eggs all over the floor. So I don't think they'll mind as far as privacy. Can't wait to get them in.... but we have to put a chicken wire wall in first. I'm going to have a fenced off storage area for feed and such. The coop is 8x12, the area by the door isn't going to be accessable for the chickens...there's going to be just a small 4' area, then they'll have an 8x8 area.

I'm also contemplating panting the inside white. But that will sure add a lot more time before they can get in it.....

Nice setup.
smile.png

That's a very nice coop! Tell your husband he is giving people coop envy.
wink.png

I think your hens will appreciate the extra room in the nest boxes. 12x12 is actually kind of small for a lot of hens. Most backyard flocks are made up of heavy breeds, not the lighter weight commercial breeds.

Very nice coop!
smile.png

As others mentioned don't worry about more nest boxes. I have two, for six hens, and they have only ever used one.

That roost is quite high, are you putting a ladder up to it? Long way for a chicken to drop to the floor.

You could extend the top of the nest boxes, on either side under the roost and put a small lip around it. Then put a layer of chips on it for the poop's to fall into. A simple clean up everyday, and a few new chips from time to time, will keep the floor of the coop much cleaner.

You can get the idea from this pic, as to what I am talking about. You can also see the ladder.

100_0419.jpg

Thanks! You can sorta see the ramp he's putting together....he's going to put some strips on there for "grips"....I had thought we'd planned on having a ladder roost...but things have been changing.....

Angie

Nice coop!! You may have trouble with the girls jumping on top of the nest boxes, tho. If you find this a problem later on, just slant the roof over the nest boxes so the chickens won't sit on top of them. Chickens are curious and will jump on top of anything.

Quote:
Another possible twist on this idea, which works well for me, is to make the droppings board lipless and slippery. Either use vinyl flooring on it like in SeaChick's coop, or in my case made of that plasticky-coated cheap shelving material; then just dust a VERY thin veil of shavings onto it, and scrape the poo off every morning. I use an old dustpan to scrape the poo into a bucket to dump on the compost pile. Easy peasy. Helps things compost faster, too, since fewer shavings in the mix.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom