Opinions on this coop?

Hi! We’re planning on starting our chicken coop this weekend and hoping for an a frame style tractor. I like these plans:
https://www.greenwillowhomestead.com/mobile-chicken-tractor-build-plans.html

but hubs is having trouble swallowing the price tag. Are there any similar plans anyone knows of that will accommodate 15-20 chickens? This is our first coop btw so if anyone sees anything we’re not consider...we really appreciate everyone’s feedback an opinion!
Which size? The coops look very small. I don't see size for the actual coop part.
Screenshot_20210115-135159.png

The pictures included with those A-frame coops show a LOT of chickens crammed in them! I like your shed much better. Please post more pictures of it: all sides, and from the inside too. Dimensions, descriptions of materials and floor help as well. In case you didn't know... @aart is very good at looking at a shed and visualizing it being a coop. :)

Are there any similar plans anyone knows of that will accommodate 15-20 chickens? This is our first coop btw so if anyone sees anything we’re not consider...we really appreciate everyone’s feedback an opinion!

A common estimate is 4 square feet of space per chicken inside the coop (sheltered area), and 10 square feet per chicken in the run (fenced area outdoors).

The largest of those tractor coops is 8 x 10 feet at the base.
If you treat the base area as the run, that would give 10 square feet each for 8 chickens.
For 8 chickens, the coop (sheltered area) should be 32 square feet.
I cannot find any dimensions for that upper area, so I can't tell if it's big enough or not.

So I'd figure the largest of those tractors as holding 8 chickens or less, not 15-20.

Using your shed sounds like a MUCH better option.

I have shed envy! The one we had on this property that we thought we could convert turned out to be so badly-built and so damaged that we had to destroy it and could only salvage limited materials.

If you post more photos, inside and out, and give us the dimensions we can help you figure out how to convert it -- especially how to add ventilation and attach a run. :)

I can take more pictures tomorrow. I was hoping to use this outshed for more of a goat house when we go to get goats, but at this time actually building a coop is feeling overwhelming. So maybe we will just attempt to convert this. I’ll be sure to find the keys and take indoor and outdoor pictures! Thanks everyone!

Some of the conversions that are good for chickens are also good for goats--like good ventilation.

You might be able to convert it for chickens now, and later build a separate chicken coop and re-purpose the shed for goats.

Or have the shed be the permanent chicken coop, and build a separate goat building.

Back
Top Bottom