Opinions on this set up?

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
Hey guys!

Well to start off, I've already got a great coop/run that my boyfriend made me. He did a great job and I'm so proud! But of course it's really only big enough for about 10 chickens and right now I've got 23 chicks ranging in age from 3 weeks to 8 weeks. They're quite comfortable but I know I'm going to need more room for them....and of course I just bought an incubator and the neighbor gave me a dozen eggs and I won an auction for 18 eggs and the neighbor is going to give me as many more as I need to fill the incubator. So that means I need more room!

And we all know how addicting chickens are so really I'll need lots and lots of runs and coops. We were trying to come up with a good plan that would include several runs so I can seperate by breed/gender/who gets along with who/etc. The first plan was a simple one with 5 runs connected, an alley, and another 5 runs on the other side for a total of 10 pens in a 40x30 foot space (approx). This was great but I wanted something a little different. One requirement was that I wanted to have some sort of "yard" that the chickens could be let out but still not be able to just go wherever they wanted. It would need to be connected to every run so I could simply let out whichever pen of chickens would get extra exploring time that day. I also wanted it to be multi-purpose just in case we decided we would like a turkey or two.

So here is what we came up with:
IMG_3161.jpg

*All the little triangle things are doors
*Bottom left corner would be the entrance to the entire enclosure and also a storage room for feed, etc.
*There's a total of 11 pens
*All the pens around the outside will be covered with tin, have hardware cloth on the outside wall and the wall next to the yard, and chicken wire on the walls between pens (cut costs without risking predators)
*The middle yard will be 20x20
*Overall it will be about 32 feet wide x 32 feet long
*Each pen will have a next box. During the summer it will be open-sided to let wind get through and during the winter we'll cover some of the sides to keep in the heat

If my calculations are correct it should be able to hold close to 200 chickens including the yard's square footage.
thumbsup.gif
Close to half are bantums so they're not takin up as much space remember.

Don't ya know dear boyfriend is thrilled!

So what do y'all think of the set up?

Last edited:
The main problem I see with your yard is that you earlier mentioned that you wanted to separate by breed, etc. So if there's one big yard, anything could mate with anything.
hu.gif
I like the contained yard/pens idea otherwise.

Your's looks really neat! When we were trying to come up with a plan my boyfriend was trying to tell me his idea and I just couldn't figure out what he was trying to say but I think your picture is what he meant.
lol.png

I was trying to make it simple on him so that he didn't actually have to build 10 complex coops, just the runs and they would be covered for shelter, etc. Our neighbor's is like that and I love the simplicity of it. I just wanted something connected to all of them where if a chicken gets out of it's pen it's not actually "loose"

And I just thought of this but it will be easier to put in automatic waterers and/or lights etc with the circular shape. Everything's connected.

Boyfriend also said we might put a little chicken size door on each wall connecting each pen so if we need a larger pen for some reason all we have to do is open the little door connecting two pens.

Ok this is a rough estimate but this should be somewhat what it would look like with the center split into 4 areas.
98119_helping_out.png

Not my best work but I was rushing, we are getting a storm here.
Mollie

I have several breeds running together in one large run... When I want to breed I separate 4-6 hens in a separate pen. I let the hens lay for a week to flush em out. Then I put my Roo in there until I have enuff eggs to incubate...6 hens gets 40 eggs to fit in my incubator in a week. DH built me a large pen up off the ground..it uses 4x4s at the corners....it's ten feet long and five feet deep--separated in the middle to make two lg pens. I guess I should take a pic and try to post it. Anyway...that kept us from building a whole bunch of smaller runs all over our property...easier to maintain too.

Back
Top Bottom