Opinions Plz: Durango woman’s dog shot, killed after chicken attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

drowningcreek

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
North Georgia
The dog owner is seeking to petition for signatures to get the current law put on the ballot to be amended or appealed that allows owners the ability to use force to protect their property and livestock. I'm curious what others think the possibility is that she could actually get that done. The location is Durango, CO. Here's the news article:

http://durangoherald.com/apps/pbcs....ngowoman’sdogshotkilledafterattackingchickens

Personally. Your dog attacks any of my animals no matter who you are your dog has seen its last day. Not meaning to stir anything just my opinion. My bil keeps his dog away from my house for this very reason and wouldnt had I had a few more seconds to look at it.
Anything killing my personal animals is at its own risk. I have an excellent eye with a scope
wink.png

Thanks for the reply, LA Mike, but I'm specifically looking for opinions on whether anyone thinks that 1) she could get 85,000 signatures to get an amended law put up on an election ballot and 2) if there would be enough people who would vote to make the change. 3) What would be the impact of setting a legal precedent like this?

Essentially, they are trying to make the law state that "fair warning" be given before dispatching a predator. As far as I can ascertain anyway.

Last edited:
Wonder how she would feel if my dog escaped and came onto her place and killed her dog, ain't no different than her dog killing that fellas chickens or any other animal IMO.

She is just upset and mad ,looking for someone to cast blame on instead of taking responsibility of her pets actions, sad as it is.

As a dog owner, it's stories like this that are a lot of why I have a fenced yard, and why I never take my girls out without a leash unless we're in a secured, designated off-leash park. I love my girls to bits, but I also know that one of them can be really scary -- she's 80+ lbs of ridiculous love, but an 80+ lb dog is still a big, intimidating dog for a lot of people -- and that the other one is wily and gets into things.

Much as I hate to say it, I think the man whose friend shot the poor dog was within his rights. I'd have liked to see him be more compassionate, but an unfamiliar dog killing other animals doesn't exactly encourage a person to go out and engage the dog directly. Unless they were personally familiar with the animal, that's not a risk a lot of people are likely to take, esp. with an animal as large as a lab/great dane!

I concur with all three of you... it was a tragic ending for the dog, but it doesn't seem like yelling at the dog deterred it from the chickens. We don't have any dogs at this time, but I love my dogs, too. The last one we rescued had been shot in the nose.... we think it was one of the neighbors who shot her. She was very skinny and very hungry and was probably trying to get into his chicken pen when he shot her. She was a yellow lab. Chickens is dinner for a hungry lab.

Quote:
It would take a lot of manpower to collect that many signatures even if the majority of the population would be in favor of the law. Most of the referendum issues that make it to the CO ballot have significant financial support from multiple special interest groups.

It's a state law on an issue that isn't controversial nationwide and the federal government doesn't seem interested in regulating these kinds of laws so it likely wouldn't spread to other states. Still, it does make one uneasy as it would overturn a common sense law that probably goes back centuries to English common law. I don't like seeing long-established tort law being eroded on touchy-feely-everybody-must-love-my-dog-as-much-as-I-do grounds.

If it gets on the ballot then we may have to organize against it. For now, anyone who suffers a devastating dog attack should take lots of graphic photos of the carnage and pictures of the now-deceased birds being hugged by your kids (to dispel the idea that they're not pets and would be killed for human food anyway).

Quote:
"Dog if you don't stop that (bang) I'll be forced (bang) to take all necessary steps (bang) to stop you with deadly force.

"But Officer. How was I to know the dog didn't understand English?"

With so many sheepeople in this day and age wouldn't surprise me if they acquired enought signatures!

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if livestock-related organizations did not lobby forcefully against the possible measure, if it makes it to the state legislature for consideration. My highly uninformed and severely-biased opinion is that someone doesn't know the difference between responsibility and accountability, and would like to shuffle both off onto others so they can do what they like with their (next) dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom