Opinions Plz: Durango woman’s dog shot, killed after chicken attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I have to read this whole thread?? Well I didn't but, here's my comment.

I live in Colorado so, I imagine this would affect me directly. We love our dogs in CO. I would be fuming if one of my dogs were killed because a house guest left the gate open; this happen last year (the gate, not the killing). So, I would appreciate if someone finds my one of my dogs on your property that you walk up to them, read the phone number on her tag, walk her into your house and call me. I'll be right over.

As for how we handle stray dogs on your property, it's simple. Stray dogs don't end up on my property. The chicken area is 100% fenced (good fences make for good neighbors) and guarded by, of all things, four dogs. If that doesn't work, there's always the paintball gun. Problem solved.

Let the flaming begin.

Jim

Its very cowardly to not tell the owner..
If you HAVE to kill the dog, at least have the morals to admit it and tell the truth so people that lost their pet can at.least have some piece of mind that their pet isn't suffering somewhere..
hmm.png

If you hide what you did, that tells me that you KNOW you acted rashly and are ashamed of it..
JMO

No flaming BUT its not the law to have your property secure like fort knox. It is the law to have the dog on a leash. Even if it was not the law it really is irresponsible not to control them. I think the owner should be upset but I would be upset at the friend. Based on the story the dog was let out of the friends house, no one check on the dog or even went looking for a few hours. Sounds like a friend I would not even let watch my gold fish personally. BUT the point comes that there was no one there to control the dog and livestock was killed. The neighbor was within his right and it should be his right. Honestly I free range my chickens. They roam all over a couple acres. I still expect our neighbors dogs to stay off our property. The neighbor also expects mine to stay off theirs. Considerate, respectful and responsible people make awesome neighbors. Not a fence involved for us. His dogs have a large kennel and so do ours. Its awesome to know they have a large place to run that is safe for them and safe for the wild life and other pets.

All that being said, I still keep the shotgun handy. I have gotten bit before by a supposedly friendly dog, its not happening a second time. We recently had a very friendly dog walk up to the house. We gave it some time watching it before we approached and read the tag and called. Granted it didn't go after my chickens and wasn't in the process of getting all bloody either. That would have made sure no one in our house approached it till it was dead. However mine would never hit the internet cause I know to SSS. Its great you feel so comfortable walking up to every dog that wanders up to you but once bitten twice shy ya know.

Quote:
Will you be over in less than a millisecond? Because you'd have to be in order to stop a dog in the process of killing chickens. Or maybe if we just stand around waiting for you to get there while our pets are being killed, you'll wave a magic wand and resurrect the chickens? If your pet is on my property killing my pets for fun and I have a gun, I get to decide which animal lives and it's not going to be yours.

Quote:
I agree to a point... I don't believe all people who SSS do act rashly, but that they feel letting the dog owner know would create lager problems. We've never had to do anything like this, so I guess I really can't speak from experience. I can imagine that there might be an occasion where I knew whose dog it was, but others I would not. Some pets have collars and tags, some don't. Some dog owners will say the dog isn't theirs if they think they are going to be liable for damages.

There's a lot more factors to be considered. I don't believe every case can be handled the same as any other. But.... I believe also that amending the current law to require some sort of "warning" whether it's a shot in the air (irresponsible in some cases) or yelling at the dog or notifying the owner (if you can), will lead to more people adopting an SSS policy towards dogs on their property.

Did that make sense? I'm tired...

Well in a lot of cases you would have to catch the animal in the act of killing or eating your lovestock. I had this issue on my farm where my neighbors dogs killed 2 heifers. The first time I was nice and warned her to keep the dogs put up. A week later I caught them chasing the other one down and killed it before I was able to get my gun and 4wheeler. Of course I shot one dog and she was furious and called the law and they told her the same thing. My opinion is that if you have the dogs then it is your responsibility to keep them under control. Also. when you obtain livestock it becomes your job to look after those animals and protect them. I would hate for my dog to get shot and would probably be outraged if he was shot but there again, it is my job to look after that dog and make sure he does not hurt someones animals. What if it was someones child? As for getting 85,000 or so signatures, that may be a hard one to do.

Quote:
How are your reading comprehension skills? poor to none? The story is about a dog attacking and killing livestock not humans, and its your responsibility as a pet owner to restrain your pet and to keep it off of others private property. If you fail in your duties the owner of the property/livestock has every right to dispatch of a harassing animal, and the weak little threat at the end would just mean you'd be joining your pet after you come onto private property making threats.

1) 85,000 is a lot of signatures. It would take a large number of people sympathetic to her cause to either gather them or donate money to pay signature gatherers.

2) It would likely also take some money to get it passed, but, I would imagine that there would be people sympathetic to pictures of puppies.

3) I don't know about what precedent it would set.

It's a sad thing that the dog was killed. Apparently, this dog is normally in a fenced yard at his own place and the dog sitter was negligent in letting him loose. It's also sad that the man lost his chickens. However, I think there are way more people in the general population who will empathize with the woman losing her dog, but will think, "it's only a chicken" with regard to the other loss. Perhaps one has to have chickens to understand.

Edit: I meant to start this by saying I read the first page and the last page of comments and was just replying to the OPs first page questions...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom