1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions plz

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KiminPA, Jun 17, 2016.

1. KiminPA

KiminPA Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA
    This is the area we've cleared for our coop/run. [​IMG]
    It's a 9' wide area and the enclosure will be 8' x 45'. As you can see there is cement and block on one side and a bank on the other. I'm planning on putting welded wire under the entire thing and then cement blocks along the edges and filling around them. For the floor of the run we plan on a couple inches of rock, then topping with several inches of sand. (We'll also have a drain along the cement block side so water doesn't lay in there)

I'm questioning whether the welded wire will be enough to keep anything from digging under? I'll be using hc for at least the bottom 4' of the sides so they are secure but I know there are multiple predators around and I want these girls as safe as possible.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Welded wire will do fine for keeping out most predators. You can get away with just laying an apron that extends down the side and out from the bottom and it will be just as effective as laying it under the whole run.

WW doesn't stop rats. Nor will it stop snakes or weasels/martins that will use rat holes to gain access to the run. If you want to deter those, use 1/2 inch hardware cloth all around and under.

3. KiminPA

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA

Ok I was thinking that too. We bought a big roll of WW before we had put too much thought into the WW v HC thing. So on that note, is there much we can use the WW for? Can we use it for the sides and just put hc across the bottom 4' for added strength/protection? Or across the top part of the run that will be un-roofed? Would it keep out any predators that would come from above? Or just put it below the coop/run as added protection and use the hc at the edges?

4. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

After seeing a couple of pictures where dogs had actually torn holes in 1/2" HC, I covered the entire sides on my coop with 2x4 WW over the top of the other wire. I used 1/2" HC on the lower 4' and regular chicken wire on the upper part to keep out the native birds. WW will certainly keep out flying preadors on the top of the run but will not keep out the climbers like mink or other small animals.

[​IMG]

As far as digger deterent, I chose to use the apron method vs digging down and burying the wire. I used WW for the apron. I had some left over 1x2 WW but you could also double up the 2x4 offsetting the wire to reduce the size of the holes. I personally would not put wire under the entire coop and run. The chickens will dig and I fear it might injure their feet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  5. KiminPA

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA

Gotcha. Thanks for the ideas. I followed your coop build (great job btw) but I hadn't checked on the run build... Looks like I need to look for it :)

6. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
  7. KiminPA

Apr 30, 2016
    Central PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by