Opinions to help chose a breed...Wyandotte, Sussex or Orpington???

As my member name would suggest, I would recommend Wyandottes. As Katy stated earlier, breeder birds are sweet, docile animals that you will love. Whereas the hatchery SL/GL are vile in nature males or females. Every hatchery SL/GL Ive ever had was a man fighter.....thusly they found a new home soon after that.

That's exactly what I wanted to know.
I do have a BO, and though she's a hatchery bird, she's a decent layer. She's not overly friendly or flighty, so I was looking to see what others thought.
I think the Wyandottes are striking visually, I mean just look at Katy's avatar...
droolin.gif

Now, if I could find a breeder with chicks available from all the above, I'd be in heaven!
LOL. I want to find a breed to stick with but am finding it so hard to choose. Guess I better let my husband know we may need another coop!
hide.gif

Thanks everybody!

My blue wyandottes will be 10 weekk old tommorrow so I cannot give feedback in the egg department.
Of these 14 hatchery birds, some are very friendly. I do have a few real stinkers in the mix too.
Got mine as chicks so I been taming em from the start. I think it makes a big difference if you get them as
chicks.
My new Silkies are a hoot, but from what I read they are not the best layers, they just love to hatch for everyone .

We've raised quite a few different breeds of chickens and stayed with what ended up being our two or three favorite breeds. We prefer the heavy breeds that have friendly personalities. Earlier this year we acquired some chicks of a breed unknown to us because the man who got them for us spoke Spanish only. Turns out they are Orpingtons. We've never raised this breed before but it is now on the top of our list as our favorite chicken breed. Sweet, friendly, and easy to catch if you need to.

Back
Top Bottom