Opinions wanted!

emilyweir

Chirping
Jul 19, 2022
Salt Lake City, UT
33514200-9A35-480A-A199-CF00755CE6ED.jpeg

Not the best photo (I had to pull it from my security camera) but we are wanting to convert the carport to a bigger run and get more chickens. Our existing run/coop are to the right of the carport, behind the tree.
I would love some expert opinions on what type of flooring and if we should break out the concrete or leave it. We use sand currently and I really love the cleanliness of it but my girls don’t really have any bugs to forage for.

View attachment 3379988

Not the best photo (I had to pull it from my security camera) but we are wanting to convert the carport to a bigger run and get more chickens. Our existing run/coop are to the right of the carport, behind the tree.
I would love some expert opinions on what type of flooring and if we should break out the concrete or leave it. We use sand currently and I really love the cleanliness of it but my girls don’t really have any bugs to forage for.
I'm not an expert. My first thought is would the oil on the concrete be a concern? Personally, I don't know.

A few observations:
If you put their run on top of the concrete, there won't be much drainage even if you put a sand layer on top. Moisture will be held in place and become a petri dish. It won't be easy to clean that out every few months and replace the sand or whatever litter you choose to use. Plus any oil or other chemicals (anti-freeze?!!) on the slab will be toxic. So.... remove the concrete.
OR...
Move the carport and their coop to a different area, perhaps in that corner next to the garage and the wood fence. The carport looks lightweight enough that, once detached from the concrete, four strong people should be able to lift it and walk it over to the new spot. The chickens will quickly devoid that area of any trace of vegetation, but at least it's on good ground and you wouldn't have to remove the concrete (use it for kids' play area, basketball goal, riding toys, chalk art, small pool ...).
That spot does look like a possible low spot (is it?), so I'd add some topsoil to raise the level and ensure rainwater drains away from it.

You could cover that concrete pad with rubber stall mats, or sheet vinyl flooring, something that will keep the birds off the original surface. Stall mats also help cushion their landings, and our concrete coop floor is managed that way, with shavings on top.
As mentioned, that carport roof can be moved too. is that the best location for your chickens? Is that leaning tree a risk that should be removed?
Mary

You could cover that concrete pad with rubber stall mats, or sheet vinyl flooring, something that will keep the birds off the original surface. Stall mats also help cushion their landings, and our concrete coop floor is managed that way, with shavings on top.
As mentioned, that carport roof can be moved too. is that the best location for your chickens? Is that leaning tree a risk that should be removed?
Mary
The tree is still healthy, it just wasn’t pruned by the previous owner so it’s a little wonky looking. We anticipate needing to take it out within 10 years though.
Unfortunately, this is the only place we can put the chickens and still have our garden, space for the kids to play, laundry line, etc.
and my husband is going to cut some holes in the carport roof and put in some clear roofing material so that the girls can get some daylight.
That’s a good idea with stall mats, thanks!

Concrete is great!
The good thing about it being from a parking area is that it will have been properly graded to shed water. As long as it wasn't a poorly executed DIY.
So that's an ideal surface for the bedding of your choice. You won't have to worry about digging predators.
I really like sand, myself, as long as it can drain well in a given application.

my husband is going to cut some holes in the carport roof and put in some clear roofing material so that the girls can get some daylight.
They don't need it. If the concern is they won't lay, they're fine with ambient light. They're not like plants that need direct sunlight. Shade is more important and preferable in many set ups.

Back
Top Bottom