Opinions

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Looking for everyones thoughts.

I've heard of many people's runs being bedded with sand and hay/straw after rain storms. My neighbor is gracious enough to give me hay for free so to speak to use during the winter months and after rain storms, but he also needs it for his cows and horses so I try not to take too much. I repay him with some help attaching attachments to his tractors(he's in rough physical shape from years of physical abuse of working for a living), predator eradication and compensation with gluten free homemade cupcakes with a filling that is locally popular made from my mother 🤤 which he said he'd gladly take as payment that they're so loved by everybody...to the point my mom has been told to open up her own pastry shop!

But im curious about saw "dust" (more like fine wood chips) from a chainsaw. I've been given 4 large bags of it from a friend and I know there will be plenty more where it came from as his family is starting to cut for next year's winter stack of wood(winter of 21-22 and winter of 22-23). I'm thinking about using some to lay down in the run as we got almost 3/4 of an inch of rain in the last 36 hours and possibly another .18 inches later today. The wood is mostly hardwood but some pine and hemlock is mixes in.

What's everyone's thought on using that to get them up and out of the mud? They also have roost bars in the run to get them out as well.

But im curious about saw "dust" (more like fine wood chips) from a chainsaw. I've been given 4 large bags of it from a friend and I know there will be plenty more where it came from as his family is starting to cut for next year's winter stack of wood(winter of 21-22 and winter of 22-23). I'm thinking about using some to lay down in the run as we got almost 3/4 of an inch of rain in the last 36 hours and possibly another .18 inches later today. The wood is mostly hardwood but some pine and hemlock is mixes in.

Any dry organic material can be used in the coop and/or the run.

However, if you have a persistent mud problem you need to address the site drainage for a permanent solution. :)

Back
Top Bottom