Opinons on Hen Breeds for Laying

I don't think you will go wrong with any of those breeds. I would get the Australorps in a heart beat, if it was my choice. Really, though, it's whichever breed you like the most. I think Australorps have beautiful heads, as well as being great egg layers and having good temperaments. My husband's least favorite color in chickens is black, so they'd have to be the only chickens available anywhere, for him to choose them.
lol.png

I would ask if you can spend a few minutes watching the birds before you choose. Egg laying and personality are important. It's also a pleasure every time you're out there, to enjoy the look of your chickens, too. Plus, you might be able to notice if some of the chickens are picking on others or seem more flighty and skittish while you watch them.

Asking the seller their opinion is also an excellent idea. Different strains of a breed can vary on how they look, lay or what kind of temperament they have. It all depends on what traits the breeder selected for or didn't bother to select for.

I think you'll do well, no matter which ones you choose. Congratulations on getting chickens! I love having chickens around. I think they're a wonderful addition to our home life and the eggs taste amazing.

Thank you for all the advice WoodlandWoman! I will be sure to watch them for a while and then also ask her opinion on which ones she thinks have the best personalities... and which ones may have mommies that are good layers themselves.
wink.png

Quote:
I have an Australorp. She just turned 18 weeks and laid her first egg yesterday.
smile.png

The thing is, Martha has been a bit cranky lately, and has tried to peck us a few times. Do you think that's because she is a hormonal teenager? I want her to be gentle like your girls!

I have RIR's, N Hampshire Red's, and one red Star. one Rhode Island Red (the smallest hen I have) has laid an egg every day since her first one at 18 weeks old for several weeks now. Her first egg wasn't much bigger than a Bantum's, but after two weeks they are now very close to store bought large eggs. The Star was the youngest hen to lay at a few days less then 18 weeks. And the New Hampshire Reds are the larger of all the hens I have. Their eggs are just one shade lighter than the RIR's.

Quote:
I have an Australorp. She just turned 18 weeks and laid her first egg yesterday.
smile.png

The thing is, Martha has been a bit cranky lately, and has tried to peck us a few times. Do you think that's because she is a hormonal teenager? I want her to be gentle like your girls!

They go through phases and she should mellow back out once she gets in the routine.
I spend a bit of time each night when they go to roost petting and talking to them. I think it helps (probably just annoys them though).

Back
Top Bottom